Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Tablets for sketching and mark ups 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_struct

Structural
Nov 11, 2020
NZ
I am looking for a tablet to use mainly for mark ups and sketching concept designs for clients during meetings. It would also be used for site visits and maybe calculation packages. It would not be replacing the engineering's main computer but supplementing it. I have used iPads in the past and liked the interface but not the compatibility with PC.

What are people using out there? Any recommendations?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The IT helpdesk recommended Archos tablet.

* Finding a solution is great * Knowing how to implement it is fantastic * Believing it is the only one and best is naive ?

I have an MS Surface Pro that I like quite a bit. It uses Windows 10 and functions just like a laptop. You might consider checking those out.

Yeah, if you want to hit all three of those use cases on a non-iPad, that sounds like an MS Surface to me.

I recently acquired a Samsung S7 FE (12.4") tab that I've been having fun with:

1) I've no intention of attempting to do calcs on it nor take it into the field.

2) I have an app called Concepts that's decent for drawing detail sketches to scale etc.

3) It comes with a native app called "Write on PDF". It's dirt simple and actually pretty great. It would a good fit for sketching concepts for clients during meetings. I can bring in a PDF drawing and, with minimal fuss, draw on it just like I would on paper but with a couple of improvements:

a) I can erase.
b) I've got a bunch of pens and colors to choose from.

It's very minimalist. There are no busy toolbars hanging about or anything like that.

4) The tablet can be used as an extra, wifi monitor for my computer or, more usefully, my laptop when I'm travelling. Most modern tablets can do this I believe.

5) I can use the tablet to mirror my primary desktop monitor. I can then fire up Bluebeam or whatever on my desktop and, when I draw on the mirrored screen on my tablet, it also draws in Bluebeam on my desktop. This is a little bit clumsy really but neat just the same.

How much do you want to spend?

Does the screen being in color matter?

Are there any applications that you know you must have access to?

m_struct said:
I have used iPads in the past and liked the interface but not the compatibility with PC.
Can you elaborate on this a bit more, any secondary device is going to rely on some mechanism to transfer files to the main work machine. These days Google Drive, Microsoft Onedrive, and Apple's iCloud pretty much remove the need to ever directly attach the device to the main machine anymore to transfer files.

Some options:
iPad Pro or Mini with Apple Pencil using Concepts, Onenote and Office365/Onedrive (IOS, need to rely on synching files using Onedrive or one of the other file hosting services)
Microsoft Surface Pro (current gen) with Krita, Onenote, Drawboard PDF, and Office365/Onedrive. (Full windows, Onedrive or local network for synhcing files, the camera is garbage so keep that in mind for the site visit aspect. The surface go has had lackluster benchmarks so would suggest an older gen pro over the go)
Samsung S7 FE with Concepts, Onenote, Office365/Onedrive (Android, need to rely on synching files using Onedrive or one of the other file hosting services)
Remarkable or similar e-ink device (Remarkable just changed their business model and added subscription costs so maybe steer clear of that one, seriously long battery life but no camera and usually proprietary note file format)

My Personal Open Source Structural Applications:

Open Source Structural GitHub Group:

I have the iPad Pro 12.9 inch, and it has changed the way I do business. I have AutoCad on it, the Concepts app, a Lidar app, Notability, MS Word, MS Excel, FastFields, ProCreate, and ArcSite. I typically write all of my structural assessment reports from my car before I leave the site (mostly using FastFields). I have done full CAD drawings of a load bearing wall removal while sitting in my seat on a flight. Notability lets me do markups of PDF files. What used to take me 4 hours to get floor dimensions for a 3 story building now takes me an hour. And I have a great daily planner app that tracks everything and syncs up with all of my devices.

Thank you for the suggestions.

- How do you find using an iPad tablet and PC main computer? Do you have compatibility issues?
- Are the apps similar for Surface and iPad?

Just checked and it seems that i-pads don't run VBA, which makes them useless for a laptop/desktop replacement as far as I am concerned. The same applies to Android pads. I presume Windows pads will run VBA, but I haven't checked.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

Mathlab has an excellent and powerful android app for doing math.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back