Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tabular load amplitude and the resulting response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connor5

Mechanical
Jul 27, 2012
US
Hello all,

I am working to apply a shock load to a machine component, but am first starting with a simple bar to work out the kinks. I am performing a Dynamic Implicit analysis and I have two steps: the first is for extracting the resonant frequencies, then the second is Modal dynamics. The load is applied in Step-2. The load is a concentrated force of -10N in the z-direction (pulling down on the bar). The amplitude set is tabular and just a simple load application then release, set up as follows:

Time-------Amplitude
0--------------0
0.01-----------1
0.1------------1
0.11-----------0

The simulation runs fine, but when I open the spatial displacement history output for the set I created at the center of the bar (where the load is applied), the displacement is continuing to increase until the end of the simulation. So my question is: Why is the load not releasing when I am intending? It should return after the load is released at .1s, but displacement continues to increase until the simulation ends.

Am I applying the amplitude incorrectly? I have read and read and read but still cannot find a solution, so I turn to you for help.

Thank you in advance for the time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Anyone have tips? Still looking for some help....

thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back