Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tabular Notes in Dwg. Template

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJDavis

Industrial
Mar 2, 2005
US
We are currently updating some of our old drawing templates.

As part of this process we thought it would be good to update their structure to include custom symbols & Tabular notes instead of just separate lines/arcs/notes, for better structure/control across templates & site.

I have a drawing template with a 'dummy' part containing all our custom attributes with default values. In this template I have created a tabular note (TN). In the TN cells I RMB -> Edit Text -> Relationships -> Object Attributes -> selected my dummy part attribute. The TN updates with the default value in my dummy part and all seems well.

If I create a new drawing based on this template, the dummy part is replaced by my 'real' part as it should be, the real part has attributes with exactly the same names as my dummy. The TN does not update with values from my real part. The TN keep the template default values from the dummy part.

As a test I have also placed a plain note into the template referencing the same dummy attributes and it updates correctly/dynamically to my real part when creating a new drawing. Also, if I RMB a cell in the TN I can relink the note to the part attribute and it then updates as it should.

It appears that either I am setting something up incorrectly in my template or the links to the attributes are being broken when creating the new drawing.

I have seen threads on the forums where others seems to be successfully using TN in their drawing templates. Can anyone shed some light on what is going on here and/or best practices for making this work?

TIA,
- Mark

NX 7.5.1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are all the attributes that are in your real part also in your dummy part?
In other words there can't be anything new added with your new part, just replaced.

So if there is a "material" attribute in your real part, then there also must be one in your dummy part - and that goes for all the attributes

Everything is exactly the same as far as attributes being identical between template/dummy part and real part.

As I said in previous post, a conventional note referencing the same part/attributes in the template will correctly & dynamically update when used with a 'real' part. This is
how our old templates are set-up and working.

With this new template, I was trying to make use of Tabular Notes (TN) to achieve essentially the same thing, but take advantage of TN inherent formatting capabilities.

When using a TN in a template, the link to the attribute is either not updating (and I can't find a way to force it to) and/or the link to the attribute gets broken when the 'real' drawing is created from the template.

I'm pretty sure it is the latter, but I don't know if it is something broken within NX's template/note systems or if I have set-up something in my template incorrectly to cause it to fail.

Hope that clarifies my issue.
Thanks,
- Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back