Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tabulated basic dims 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctopher

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2003
US
Here is a new one for me. I have a part with a lot of holes (patterned). I have the first hole dimensioned from two directions X,Y that are tabulated in a Excel worksheet on the dwg. The dimensions have overrides with letters (F, G) as the variables. The letters corrispond with the tab block. Is there a way to enclose the letters as if they are basic dimensions either at the dim or in the Excel worksheet? Once the dim is override with a letter, it can not change to a type of tol.
Hope I made sense. thanks

Chris, Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP3.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716
FAQ1010-1130

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Chris,

Instead of simply using "F" to override the dimension, if you type in "<SL-#>" where # is your letter, you can get your basic dimension that you want.

WorkingLife,

Do you know where you learned about the "<SL-#>" functionality? Is it in the Help somewhere, or maybe the Calloutformat.txt file? I'd like to see what else is available.

Thanks,
Ken

This was a great tip. You can also use cl and tl for circle & triangle. We also use this format at our company, but I'm looking for a way to insert a letter in an inspection symbol with the word "inside" underneath. When you place a word underneath the letter, the inspection symbol switches to the word and doesn't remain on the letter. There are a number of work-arounds, but it would be easier if there was a similar way to do this.
Thanks, Sylvia

If you need more functionality, there are more out there Ken.

If you click on the dimension in drawing, you will be given a properties on the left side. Under the "dimension text" box, there's a "More..." button. After adding one that you want, there's where I got the code for all the other possibilities.

I don't believe there's a help for it, but there should be.

Allan Chun
SolidWorks CSWP

Great tip. I've had the need for this type of feature myself.

One question, maybe I missed it: Is there a way to have more than 1 character?

Regards,

Christopher Zona - Senior CAD Designer
Litens Automotive Partnership
Concord, Ontario

yes you can have up to 99 in the numbers and ZZ in letters.

Ex: For numbers <S-99>

Ex: For letters <S-ZZ>

Best Regards,
Jon

Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.

Solidworks 2006 SP0.0

Information identified as <CL-#>, <TL-#>, etc., are all SolidWorks Symbols.
Symbols are identified in the file "gtol.sym" located in:
SW-LoadPoint\lang\english
In addition to the "Flag" Symbols above, the file defines all GD&T, Weld, Hole & Modifying symbols.

If necessary, the file can be modified to include your own specialized symbols.
CAUTION: Once modified, it is your responsibility to maintain through future revisions and for multi-user environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back