Taking the PE and SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Civil/Environmental
Apr 22, 2010
US
Hi all -

I'm in a unique situation, so I figured I'd look for some input from other professionals who may or may not have come across something similar. I've been an EIT for 2.5 years now, so I'll be eligible to take my PE in Fall of 2013. I'm probably going to start brushing up and gathering materials in the coming months so that I can get familiar with everything now. I'll take a refresher course early '13 followed by an in depth "prep course" as the date gets closer. This is sort of me just getting my mental muscles up and running again.

My line of work is very unique (as is my work environment). There are six engineers at my company, and only 3 are currently PE's. A fourth will be taking his exam in October, and then I will be next, followed by the 6th engineer a year later. We have no SE's on staff and have a consultant for that.

My work is very unique and involves designing tall, thin, cylindrical concrete structures. I deal almost exclusively with concrete actually - I have some steel design experience, but I'd say limited at best.

I'm curious to know if with basic structural knowledge, would it be feasible to study for and pass the SE I and II without being heavily involved in structural design as a building or bridge engineer would be? I ask because in my studying for the PE, I can also work to obtain the SE study material (reference manuals, problems, etc) as well. I would work to take and pass the PE the October I'm eligible and work for the SE either the following Spring or next Fall (I'd have to research how the PE and SE exam schedules work with one another).

Anyways, I guess I'm curious if anyone has had anything like the same experience or dilemma that I'm in. Thanks for the input!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With such a limited exposure to one structural material, I feel that your chances are slim to pass the SE. You really need to broaden out your experience base.

The SE is heavy into buildings and bridges, with code related design problems, mainly in steel, concrete, and wood. Definitely seismic problems, maybe wind too. Can also get into foundation design.

You have a very good plan for the PE, and with that prep, you will nave no problem passing. Is there any hope of getting other experience in the future within this firm?

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Do you need the SE? I don't, and have absolutely no interest in bridges, so I took the PE. My state doesn't differentiate anyway.

Regarding msquared48's post, I'm limited to the wood exposure I can get in my job. Concrete and steel are the extent of what we do, and it's not your typical bridge/building work. The lack of bridge exposure is what has me most worried. I guess that's why I was asking if it's feasible. The seismic and wind design isn't much of an issue as I deal with that on a regular basis. But the bridges DO worry me a bit!

And slta, no - I don't need the SE. We have someone that we have review our drawings and calculations for a fee when we do work in states that require an SE to seal the drawings. Part of it would be to eliminate that, and part of it would be for personal accomplishment. I guess it's the side of me that still has some academia in it! ;)

One thing I can probably do is grab a selection of prep problems and feel them out. If I don't think I can make myself comfortable with the material, I imagine I'll have answered my own question! The PE is obviously the more important license for me to obtain, and it may be that I should focus solely on that and keep the structural work as a way of bettering myself!

Thanks for the tips and info guys, really appreciate it.

FYI, I am not a bridge engineer, but still managed to pass the structural without the experience. Depending on the subject emphasis of the test, it is possible.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

To the best of my knowledge, with the new SE test format you have to opt to take either the building specific or the bridge specific test. You can not mix however, i.e. if you chose buildings for the gravity test, you also have to chose buildings for the lateral test. The greater problem might be to find SEs who can and are willing to sign your application for the test. They testify that you have the necessary experience and are of good moral character. If I am not mistaken, the letter of the law requires them to confirm that you have worked under their direct supervision. The state board might accept a statement that they know that you did a good job on projects they are familiar with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back