Tall Integral Abutment Sample Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezkh

Structural
Jan 19, 2022
US
Hi bridge engineers,

I'm considering design of a tall integral abutment (total height of 12 ft). The bridge is a simple span (42 ft) steel girder bridge. I'm wondering what is the tallest you have designed? Any comments?
If possible, can you share sample structural plans for such a bridge with a tall integral abutment on single row of piles. These are common in Pennsylvania and Vermont according to their design manual.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks, kewli.
What about the wingwalls? can can those be connected integrally, being flared and about 15 ft long?

Personally I have not seen flared wingwall on integral abutment bridges, but then again I never looked too hard into it. Flared wingwall would take on more earth pressure and cause additional stress in your piles/girders/etc.

NYDOT did a survey and it seems more than 50% of the surveyed jurisdiction do not allow flared wingwall with integral abutment bridges.

Often times large/long wingwalls are supported on piling as necessary unless the site has shallow bedrock. In some cases, walls can be broken into two or more sections and any section founded as necessary.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

That's a tall abutment. How do you manage the earth loads and provide retaining walls? typically, what I have seen is to use a shorter integral or semi-integral stub abutment behind a MSE or other retaining wall. This way the wall holds back the earth and the abutment carries the vertical and a minimal about of horizontal loading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back