Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tangent mate not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theophilus

Mechanical
Dec 4, 2002
US
This is strange. I've got a couple of "gears" (like cams) I'm working on--very wonky shapes whose profiles are best described with a spline (not elliptical, round, or regular). I'd like them to touch at their tangent points--think of an ear-shaped extrusion--the curved surfaces of which I'm trying to make tangent to one another (two of these cam/gears).

When in the mate dialog box I get either Parallel or Perpendicular as options--not tangent. Any ideas? I'm quite confident I've done this sort of thing before, even if the extruded curved surfaces were built from a spline. Perhaps I've got amnesia on how to do this?

And if that works, I'd like to create a gear or belt mate (if remotely possible) so I can move the cam/gears in relation to one another smoothly to test the motion they generate in my assembly.

Thanks,

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I create my curved surface with a series of arcs (real PITA to edit the curve to get my motion right), I'm concerned I won't be able to get my tangent mate to work with the consecutive tangent surfaces created by several tangent arcs on each face. Is this possible? (I figured it would pick a single surface in my curve created by one of the arcs and that would be all--I need tangency to the whole curved surface set, hence the spline idea.)

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back