Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Tangential Outlet Reducing Tee

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytelle

Civil/Environmental
Dec 15, 2021
US
Has anyone ever seen or know of a vendor that supplies tangential inlet pvc saddles or tangential outlet reducing tees? I'm looking for either a 2" tangential saddle on a 4" pipe or a tangential outlet reducing tee with a 4" run and 2" branch. Any help appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What's wrong exactly with a branch connection and a45 degrees elbow?

Wyes, angle branches etc create large stresses at the crotch and are quite rare.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Never seen one of those in our plants. Have you e-mailed that image to some big PVC pipe companies? Like Charlotte Pipe? I'm sure there are many.

Are you making a small cyclone/hydroclone? You can get those ready-made.

Good Luck,
Latexman

Thank you for the lead. I'm building a prototype, in my garage, and need this tangential tee for the hydrocyclone portion of the system. If it was a normal hydrocyclone I would just buy, but this one has some odd dimensions from the typical design.

I'm hoping I can find something for < $100. I recieved a FRP quote from a large FRP pipe and fitting supplier for $1200. Not ideal for prototype build.

Steel prices are crazy these days so I figured PVC would be best for prototype.

I will contact Charlotte Pipe.

JL

If prototyping, I would buy a full size tee, then whittle/cast/machine a plug to locate the desired hole off-axis, and perhaps shape the end of the plug to match the main line i.d. A bit of work with some PVC rod and a lathe and mill, but not too bad. Glue the plug into the fitting using standard PVC primer and solvent cement.

I have 3D printed a smaller 2" run 1" branch version. To print a larger unit would not be possible on the printer I have. I looked into it and it would be quite expensive to print from some of the online companyues that do that sort of thing. The smaller version I printed took nearly 2 days to print.
Also 3D printing a water tight tee that can withstand 20psig is no simple task. It has to be coated with epoxy etc. I was thinking there would be someone out there who could just supply the part readymade.

JL

This discussion has made me think of something I've never thought of....

I could just buy say a 6"x6"x6" PVC block, center drill a 4" hole then drill a 2" hole tangential to it using the orthogonal block face. Might not be the prettiest thing, but I'm a garage engineer after all. I wouldn't need any sophisticated tools either.

Thank you

JL

I need the tangential inlet for the cyclonic nature of flow inside the tee.

FRP can be made quite cheaply so long as I do it myself. I was looking for an easy out hoping you folks would know of a supplier...I've been searching for one for quite some time with no luck.

Charlotte pipe, nibco, no luck.

JL

Have you looked into lab scale units? Spray dryer companies have some small units. Maybe you could get one second hand.

D332B727-9545-41BF-9CF1-98D8D5DAA7A4_cblepk.jpg

Good Luck,
Latexman

Latexman, that is a great idea. The cyclone image you show would be great actually since it says interchangeable apex and feed which is what I will need to experiment with.

Do you have a source of where that image came from?

JL

Update

I found a company in south africa, trithane, that sells individual cyclone parts - apex, inlet housing, vortex finders etc. This is my easy out.

JL

Based on the quotes I've received for fabricated units. I will make it myself...trying my hand at casting. I modeled a sanitary clamp version and created a mold for it. Hoping I can print it, clamp it, and pour it using a rigid urethane resin. Anyone know of a good rigid urethane resin? Flex-it 80? I do not imagine the pressure will exceed 10psig inside the part.

mold_i0mhet.jpg
part_jelbs3.jpg

JL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back