Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tank Anchorage

Status
Not open for further replies.

palves

Structural
Jun 6, 2008
US
I'm currently working on a project where I need to design the foundation and anchorage of 4 exterior tanks that store gases such as nitrogen, argon, oxygen, and CO2. These tanks range from 16'-41' tall, 7'-8.5' in diameter, and weigh between 45k-123k. These tanks will be anchored to an exterior foundation at grade level, and will not be connected to any other structure.

I'm trying to find my horizontal Fp force to get my overturning moment, but can't pinpoint if I should be using Ch. 13 (non-structural components) or Ch. 15 (Non-building structures) in the ASCE7. I see that Section 15.7 addresses "Tanks and Vessels" but the design process seems convoluted since I have no experience with it. Dooes anybody have some helpful hints for this design?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Based on your description, they would be non-building structures.

It simplifies things if they can be treated as rigid structures, investigate that option.

Definitely Non-Building structures...

Design the reactions of the tank legs as pinned to simplify the connections, unless the tank manufacturer says otherwise.

I assume you are not designing the frame to support the tank structure, if there is one.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Check the footnotes and the commentary. There are references to special codes for some tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back