Tank bottom settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joss10

Mechanical
Dec 27, 2012
AR
Dear mates,

Is it acceptable the bottom settlement of a tank be measured by taking levels with a water hose.

Any input will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes you can measure. You need two survey grade rods or two straight rods steel tape attached + transparent PE hose + water, painted with ink. The hose will be used as U tube both ends sticked to the survey rods with electric tape. You can see the elevation difference with a precision about 1mm.

This query reminds me, the Star Wars poster 1983, fighting with stone axe against laser weapons.

Fully agree with HTURKAK !!

My question was because of API 653 statement here pasted below:

B.2.1 Settlement Measurements
Measurements of tank settlement should be performed by personnel experienced in the types of measurement
procedures being performed, using equipment capable of sufficient accuracy to distinguish settlement differences.

Dear Joss10 (Mechanical)(OP),
I looked the code API 653 3rd edition 8.2.1 ELEVATION MEASUREMENTS but could not see your statement (Measurements of tank settlement should be performed by personnel experienced in the types of measurement
procedures being performed, using equipment capable of sufficient accuracy to distinguish settlement differences.)

Anyway , the mentioned set up ( transparent hose U tube with two scaled sticks ) will have sufficient accuracy..

But wait a minute , you fully agreed with me..in this case , i have the right to ask a medal made up of orange peel or at least a pink star to my comments.[bigsmile]

Dear HTURKAK,

Find here below the edition I am using, last one.
API STANDARD 653
FIFTH EDITION, NOVEMBER 2014
ADDENDUM 1, APRIL 2018
ERRATA 1, MARCH 2020

I understand that the measurement techniques are progressing and that was the reason for my question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back