Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tank Construction Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LurmClaxton

Petroleum
Apr 12, 2013
GB
An unusual problem perhaps??

The record keeping at our facility has been poor in the past and whilst we have some drawings very few indicate whether the constructions code is API650 or BS2654 or even what the constructions materials were. We know there are tank built to both codes on our site but which ones??

What outward indications would there be to potentially identify which ones are which?

Any advice would be most appreciated?

Thanks

Lurm

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

API 650 tank should have a nameplate:

10.1.1 A tank made in accordance with this Standard shall be identified by a nameplate similar to
that shown in Figure 10-1.
The nameplate shall indicate, by means of letters and numerals not less than 4 mm (5/32 in.) high,
the following information:
a. API Standard 650.
b. The applicable appendix to API Standard 650.
c. The year the tank was completed.

I don't think that your problem is unusual or unique. From what I have seen of process plant records, I believe that your situation may even be typical.

I would go back to some of the most likely fabricators in your geographic area. Ask them if they could review their records for any tank that they may have constructed for you. Expect to pay something for the service .....

This would be a good project for a young engineer or intern

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

This is an usual problem.
See API 653 3.2 as-built standard
The standard (such as API standard or UL 5 standard) used for the construction of the tank component in question. If
this standard is not known, the as-built standard is the standard that was in effect at the date of the installation of the
component. If the date of the installation of the component is unknown, then the current applicable standard shall be
considered to be the as-built standard. See Annex A for a list of API welded storage tank standards. The standard
used for repairs or alterations made after original construction is the as-built standard only for those repairs or
alterations, so there may be more than one as-built standard for a tank.

Regards
r6155

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back