Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tank freeze protection for irregular operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesbanda

Chemical
Sep 21, 2004
US
Dear all,

we are designing a new process. Our exiting units are inside this process will be outside. For safety reasons we are not using a building - flammable materials etc.

Our materials freeze around 20deg C. Normally in the process they are processed above 40deg C typically 90deg C and above and therefore no freezing issues are normally present. All our lines will be electically traced and lagged for startup and maintenance. But, what about vessels?

We have 8m3+ 15 m3 process vessels accumulators. Should they have heating coils or just lagged and traced. I want to avoid performing a complex heat transfer calculation taking into account startup conditions etc.

Is there any industry standards I could purchase or refer to? I'm wary of taking with a supply of coils etc, it would only be in their intrest to recommend one..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Offhand, I think that is the last thing you should avoid. Its much less complex than trying to start up flow of a solid.

09-1527195294T.gif

Would you buy a new car that was only half painted??

Finish the job and provide necessary heat (coils, injection, tracing etc) to the tanks

You didn't list your winter design conditions but apparently it is below 20 deg C

The most expensive incident on record (more than US$ 1,000,000,000) for my company was caused by a natural occurring event. Was it a hurricane, tornado, tsunami, or flood? No, it was cold weather on the U.S. Gulf Coast.

Who said “plan for the worst, and hope for the best”?

Good luck,
Latexman

Consider hiring a professional engineer to (help) design the tanks. Perhaps Perry's handbook of chemical engineering will help.
Perhaps your tank vendor has the staff on hand.

As our fellow commentators suggested, options appear to be heat tracing, heating coils, bayonette heater, or heat exchanger with recirculation pump back to tank, of course, all with insulation.
Good luck.

For Live help on Freeze Protection you should call the guys at JMH Heat Inc. I have their number if you want it. They specialize in Freeze Protection!

There are many ways to do this. You could have internal coils with heat trace fluid (heat medium). External electric or heat medium trace. Or I've seen plants with small pumps that keep circulation of the process up at a low rate to keep all lines and vessels with process flow.

I've seen plants in ND, USA completely inside buildings with Tioga heaters that keep the whole build warm and ventilated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back