Tank Name Plate Bracket 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

48jeep

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2010
US
Howdy,

I've got a question related the name plate bracket standards for tanks (not the name plate itself). Ive been poking around the various standards available and they all have a similar bracket style (A flat plate with 2 ends bent 90 degrees and welded to the tank surface, something like a C channel with the ends welded to the tank). I find this unnacceptable for my purposes (it does not allow for easy access to effectively blast and paint behind the mount). I was looking for a specific standard that somebody mentioned, and I'm not sure if it is mythical real. Mainly, Im looking for somthing like a T bar with the bottom of the T welded to the tank and the top free for the nameplate.

I know this seems like alot of thought for something so simple, but the tank this one is replacing had corrosion failures over its 30 year life at the bracket location due to poor maintanence resulting from the difficulty to get behind. Additionally if this standard is indeed mythical, I'm not afraid to proceed and custom design it. That said, it is always preferable to have a standard to point to.

If anyone could point me toward a standard with something like what I am looking for that would be wonderful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

we only use a tee bracket. some clients want to use a channel style, but we refuse to do it, because of the issues you stated.

we just use the same material as shell (nominal composition) plate and weld up a tee that has web 2" past insulation and the flange is 1" larger than name plate

just draw it up and use it.

i know of no official standard covering this

I'll second vesselfab's comments. There is no national standard for a nameplate bracket besides company (i.e. owner/user, engineering firm, fabricator) internal standards. The possibility exists that there is s PIP, but that really falls under the company standards category.

jt

Excellent, Ill go ahead and take care of it myself then. Even the company spec is a channel, which I find to be absurd.

I have been out of school and in industry for all of a month, so I haven't built up a large collection of personal resources yet, so I'm glad to have this resource. And after spending so many years in school, one develops a knee jerk reaction to ask where the official standard way to do anything is. But luckily as an engineer at a company, Im paid to make choices, not just plug specs together, so I have the freedom to do go ahead and do as I deem nessesary. It feels good.

Thanks for the input guys!

48Jeep,
You wrote:
"I have been out of school and in industry for all of a month, so I haven't built up a large collection of personal resources yet, so I'm glad to have this resource. And after spending so many years in school, one develops a knee jerk reaction to ask where the official standard way to do anything is. But luckily as an engineer at a company, Im paid to make choices, not just plug specs together, so I have the freedom to do go ahead and do as I deem nessesary. It feels good."

I will suggest a few things for you regarding this.
1. Your statements have an arrogant tone to them. Such Pride goes before the fall.

2. You will learn that there is logic in checking for and using existing Company Standards;a) they have stood the test of Peer review, b) they have been thoroughly checked and no doubt tested by prior use, c) repeat Clients are familiar with them and have approved them, d) you will not make the embarrassing mistake of "re-inventing the wheel."

3. You need to check your spelling, I found spelling and grammar errors that make me suspicious when you say "I'm paid to make choices, not just plug specs together, so I have the freedom to do go ahead and do as I deem necessary.

4. You are out of school and in the industry a whole month, Wow! At this point I fear that "you do not know what you do not know!"

48 Jeep;

Do not let pennpiper inhibit your outward thinking. You just gave a perfect example where a company standard may not have been the best choice and it contibuted to the item's unncessary failure.

Pinnpiper's post in regards to the logic found in standards may have merit. It does not necessarily mean that because something has been done a certain way for eons there are not other options.

Look for ways to save money and to be improving. Tread cautiously and humbly when making new recommendations because some dinasours may not like the status quo being challenged.

Aye, I do apologize for the atrocious grammar, but I really was moving in a hurry. I realize it makes me look like less capable, but I am also able to remain more laid back in the context of this forum, specifically because I am seeking wisdom not offering. Ill likely triple check my next official document just out of paranoia!

I do realize specs are specs for a reason, but everything is subject to human error and bias. My work and the work in standards is no different. But ultimately, I would have taken a job with government if I intended to follow specs and not question.

I have no idea what I don't know, but nobody does. I would say the combination of me asking the question and mentioning that I don't have years of resources to fall back upon shows however that I do in fact have a respect for the fact that I am not all knowing and capable.

Arrogant, I like to think not, but confident I am. It may or may not be warranted, but it is the only thing in this world that keeps me from crawling into a pile of previous solutions to problems and hiding in the safety of the known.

I appreciate both your humbling comments penn and your motivational advice van. Both have had an impact and resulted in useful introspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back