Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tank Settlement Vs. SBC from Shear 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcploks

Civil/Environmental
Feb 3, 2012
PH
Hello!!

I would just like to ask..

is it ok if Tank Load is greater than allowable soil bearing capacity (ex. Tank Load = 18ton/sq.m, SBC = 14 ton/sq.m) as long as it passes allowable settlement criteria?

Thanks in advance!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, it's not ok to exceed the allowable bearing capacity. The bearing capacity is based upon shear failure and settlement criteria, both of which should be met. Having said that, usually the bearing capacity of a tank would be based upon settlement criteria (because shear failure is usually not a problem for a large tank bearing area). So my point is that you need to make sure a geotech has provided the bearing capacity based upon an analysis of the specific loading condition and the soil. (i.e. bearing capacity is not just a function of the soil.....a normal footing and a large tank sitting on the same soil would have different bearing capacities).

I'm late with a response, but geogdg's response which is correct points out the care in using terminology. We have had a number of threads on this in various geotechnical engineering forums.

It is my view that

1. Any time you use the word "capacity" you are basing your premise on shear strength. Ultimate bearing capacity is as the formulas (whichever one you use) give you - the allowable bearing capacity is the ultimate divided by a factor of safety (usually 3).

2. When one uses, as a premise, settlement or distortion, it should be referred to as "allowable bearing pressure" - usually "net". This clearly defines that the given or quoted value is settlement or distortion driven.

I don't use the term SBC (Safe bearing capacity) - mainly because of the two points above. In most soils, it is the settlement and/or distortion criteria that govern the applied loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back