Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tank study cost estimation acc.to AP I650

Status
Not open for further replies.

miltiadis

Mechanical
Jul 9, 2008
GR
I know that the forum is focused only to technical aspects about tank design but it would be intersting to see what is approximately the cost estimation for the calculation of a tank (including the fabrication drawings)according to API 650, worldwide.As for an example let's assume a fixed roof tank 50000m3 .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yup.... about that much

I have done many of these, but I would like to add:

- Have some idea of the coating system that you need

- Know what kind of tank foundation and containment will be part of the installation

- Fire protection (if required)should be part of the cost.

-MJC

Are you saying that a 50,000 m^3 floating roof tank will cost only US$5000? I know there have been some worries about deflation, but that seems extreme.

No one said anything about floating roof.The example was hypothetical for a fixed roof tank design only, without taking into account foundation or firefighting design.

My mistake, but are you saying that a 50,000 m^3 FIXED roof tank will cost only US$5000? This is an extremely small amount of money! Are you saying that I could buy several of these tanks for the price of a very basic small car, even excluding the foundation & firefighting? I'll take two.

The question asked for the cost of the calculations, not the cost of the tank- at least that's what I assumed the responders took it as.

The question was only for the DESIGN of a tank (calculations and drawings). I think it's quite clear nothing is mentioned about erection.

To all..

The "seat of the pants estimate" of $5000 for a 1,320,000 gallon (50,000 cu.m)tank may be quite a bit light.

Any tank this large would require an extensive soils evaluation of the site which would overshadow the cost of the tank installation cost.

Again, IMHO the selection of coatings is important. Secondary containment choices can add hundreds of thousands of dollars.

At a ballpark cost of $1.00 to $1.75 a gallon, we are, of course talking about a multi million dollar tank.

My opinion only

MJC

Mr. MJCronin

How did you come out with that number on price/gallons? Is there any data or method on how to estimate the final price of above ground storage tank? Thanks.

My price was based on some recent cost estimates for slightly smaller tanks. Installed in MS

Again, foundation and coatings costs cannot be ignored. You are best served by getting a budgetary estimate from an installer.

Here is a site that may help:

-MJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back