Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

tank truck loading - balanced vent line

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlmiller

Chemical
May 23, 2001
US
I have been assigned to install a vapour balance line between the tank trucks and solvent storage tank.
Is it standard practice to install a detonation arrester in the balance line? This would be a dedicated balance line from the storage tank to the tank truck.
I realize that when storage tank vents are connected, a detonation arrester should be installed, but I am not sure about a loading station.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

jmiller,

No, it is not common practice to use a detonation arrestor in a vent line

See the details contained in this guideline:

The money for the arrestor would be better spent on a foam fire protection system:

Make sure that you do not forget to ground the truck when unloading !!!!

Many solvents will generate a charge when pumped !!!

My opinion only...

MJC

See the following API practices:

* API RP12H (RECOMMENDED PRACTICE FOR THE OPERATION, MAINTENANCE AND TESTING OF FIREBOX FLAME ARRESTORS)

In this recommended practice you can find a detail explanation for the using of this detonation arrestor. Take care of this protection device. In some stages the addition of this kind of arrestor could be insecure and not recommended.

See also the API recomended practice:

API RP2003 (Protection Against Ignitions Arising out of Static, Lightning)

Regards, Hianbo

I have seen detonation arresters in the tank/tank truck vapor balance line at the tank truck end. The scenario was - operator leaves valve in vapor balance line open, flammable vapors escape from vapor balance line, an ignition source is found, and a fire results. The detonation arrester would prevent flashback into the tank. It was an all manual plant and the flammable monomer in the tank was under air blanket so the inhibitor would work. We don't do it like this now, but I've seen it done.

Good luck,
Latexman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back