Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

tanks accesories 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ll23

Industrial
Jan 20, 2016
VE
Greetings, I have a doubt about the governing codes or standards in fabrication of tanks accessories as manholes, flush type nozzles and fittings, internal piping (draining and instrumentation), since API 650 doesn't mention any fabrication code requirements for the weld of a flush-type nozzle, or an internal instrumentation pipe, like level meter. Please let me know if I have a misinterpretation in this matter.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure I understand the question. API-650 doesn't mention a fabrication code for certain items because it IS the fabrication code for those items. See Section 1.2. Note that the flange itself on a flanged nozzle or flush nozzle is part of the tank.

First, thanks for the reply, and yes I´m aware of the limits of the tank construction and the standard scope, but the thing that makes me doubt is for example, the inner drain pipe, it is neccessary to do Rx in all weld joints, I know that is a requirement in the flush type connections, but it's there any other code or standard that I could use for verification, design or construction in this matter apart of API 650

IMO, API-650 has specified the details for the tank fabrication, including the shell, bottom, roof, nozzle, etc. But, it doesn't include the details of the piping or instrumentation.
The Engineering is responsible for the piping work, either internal or external, which is to be designed using B31.3 code, and the instrumentation per ISA standards, etc.

API-650 doesn't require radiography of pipe welds that I am aware of.
Note also that piping such as a sump drain operates at very low differential pressure, so it is a very UNcritical application. You could specify other codes or increased weld examination for it, but wouldn't really be gaining anything for the trouble.

Thanks again both of you for responses, I certainly agree with JStephen that drains don´t need to be rx tested, but I´m thinking of the inner injectors, those, and Im just guessing, may be designed upon private industries specifications like SHELL, or BP, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back