Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tannins removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjvh

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2009
KH
Hi I have a problem with the water of a shalow well near sea

I believe that tannins are the root of the problem but i can't hardly find decent info on the removal of this phenomenon

other caracteristicts from the water are that the conductivity is higher than normal(930 mS)the PH is low (6.05) and Iron 0.43 mg/L

the water looks like weak tea and has a bit of an oddor.

can somebody explane me posible solutions to get at least the color right

thanks in advace

Robert-jan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Chemical pretreatment with alum or ferric iron salts has long been used to remove color caused by natural organic material. Chemical pretreatment is followed by filtration.

The recommendation as to the most practical treatment scheme will depend on your application and flow.

Small volume applications such as homeowners have successfully used ion exchange resin to remove tannins.

To ensure that you select the optimum treatment scheme, obtain a comprehensive water analysis.

In addition to, and I personally believe is better, is to use tannin removing ion exchange resin for your application. Most of the ion exchange resin manufacturers make special resins for this purpose. The resins are regenerable on site using sodium or potassium chloride salt. The regeneration of the resin is very similar to that of an ion exchange Water Softener. More effective and less costly than the above recommendations based on the regenerability and reuse of the resin over many years of use.

Gary Schreiber, CWS VI
The Purolite Co.

Thank you all for the replys

will have to study a bit what would be the best solution for my case

just one more question to ch81pc I'm not familiar with the term GAC what does it mean?

Robert-Jan

Hi Aquaseaulutions the exspected flow rate would be 20 m3 a day

I did try a alum treatment on the water with no result (it looks still like a cheap under aged wiskey)

The last resort option/advise to the customer would be to drill a deep well and hope that there is no arcinic in that water.

it's to be expected that I give an advise by next month so I can still try some stuf on the water samples I have

Robert-Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back