Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

tap hole in 1/2" hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

striker12300

Mechanical
Mar 8, 2016
US
What is the smallest tap hole anyone has been able to consistently cut in 1/2" steel? 8-32, 6-32, 10-32? Would a better grade of steel help much? FOM2 3015 nt 4k.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've cut some small holes in 1/2 but my conditions may not work with your setup but you can try them. You need a good ramp pierce the one I have is for 3/8 so change the pierce time to 10 and lower it once you know how long it takews.
HRS0.375-P_qztk02.jpg
The approach and edge data also play a big part I use distance of .08, feed rate of 3, freq of 10 and a duty of 30. My cut condition is power 3500, freq of 350 and duty of 75 and play with the feed between 30 and 40 ipm.

Striker, what has your experience been so far with cutting small holes in 1/2"?

You have a newer laser which helps but those are very small holes to be cutting in 1/2". I would undersize any laser cut hole intended for tapping and then drill/ream to size before tapping. I would not expect to make any tap-ready holes with the laser in material that thick for any size tap.

Oops. Forgot about this over the long weekend. On the bigger tapped holes, I think we have been able to do it. I was just wondering on the smaller holes if anyone was able to do it consistently.
We were bidding a job that had 20 holes tapped in 1/2" steel.
We actually just set the pierce time at 1 second, use a punch to mark it better and drill out the smaller ones. I guess we'll keep doing that. Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back