Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Taper or Flange Design for Drive Shaft of High Speed Centrifuge

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinFast

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2011
US
I'm spinning a 24 in dia., 2 in thick aluminum disc ("table") at a rate of 6000 rpm. The drive shaft design is still not finalized.

Do you think I should go with a tapered drive shaft:

Or should I go with a flange drive shaft:

I have a general idea of the advantages/disadvantages of both options, considering slippage and alignment of both table-to-drive-shaft interfaces. I'm still a rookie (I'm going on 19 months out of college!), so any help whatsoever is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Phil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi SpinFast

Well with the single nut on the tapered shaft my question is what stops the nut from coming undone also does the disc only turn one way, if so then you can use the opposite hand thread to help prevent loosening.
I think you need to tell us a lot more about the application to get any further feedback

desertfox

Another option to consider is a polygon shaft interface. Google shaft-hub connection or similar and you will find some stuff like this:

This type of connection used the shaft geometry to transmit the torque, and allows the threaded connection to see considerably less vibration, cyclic stress, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back