Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Tapered Splines 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxB89

Automotive
Sep 6, 2018
GB
Hi all. New user to the forum. I am designing an Anti Roll Bar for a train. Customer has requested that we use a tapered spline. Not something my company has experience of and there don't appear to be any ISO or other standards on the subject. Has anyone got any ideas where I can find some information or designs for theses? Otherwise I am starting from scratch which I really don't have the time for.
Thank you in advance....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Machining the internal splines shouldn't be much different from straight splines. Broaching would do it. You just have to find a way to mount the piece at an angle...

A colleague of mine has seen a similar design at another customers facility up close. The angle does appear to be quite shallow. Possibly 5°. I think my best bet here is to just draw one up "blind" and make it. Then test it to destruction and see what happens.

Sorry Chez I can't share any designs for obvious reasons. But yes the axial position will be governed by the seating on the taper angle as jgKRI said.

As far as the amount of taper you might want to look into the data for Jacobs or Morse tapers for holding things like drill bits in drill press' and lathes.
Very strong hold yet can be disassemble with very little effort.
Splined broaches are common and there might even be a standard or common taper available if you ask the broach maker.
For a proto-type a wire EDM should do the trick for the internal splines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back