Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tapered text? Anyone done it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdennyb

Mechanical
Nov 14, 2003
US
I have a need to display an extruded name on a tapered cylindrical surface (like a long funnel) but all I can do is this... and I can extrude text from the surface with the simple plane located on the surface trick and then extrude to the surface, but I need to taper the text from large letter at the big end to a much smaller letter on the other.
I tried a composite curve but it wouldn't let me project it to the surface. Any ideas? am I missing something in the translation?

db

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Perhaps I'm missing your question, but if I understand correctly, this may work:

create a plane tangent to your cone, but offset some distance. Start a sketch and convert the line at the bottom of the cone projected onto the tangent plane. Offset this a small distance so that you will be able to project your text onto the surface of the cone. Create your text using smaller and smaller font sizes making sure that the projection will stay on the surface of the cone. Once created, project them onto the conic surface on which you are trying to write. Offset the surface of your cone outward and trim your text using the offset cone. Then hide your offset cone.

There is probably an easier way to do this, but I did something similar using this method in SW05.

Garland E. Borowski, PE
Borowski Engineering & Analytical Services, Inc.
Lower Alabama SolidWorks Users Group

I think GBor is on the right track, but don't forget about the 'Wrap' feature. You can emboss, deboss, or just scribe a sketch onto a given surface, from almost any other surface.

I'd recommend using something like Illustrator (or some such vector-driven application) to create your text as a seamlessly-reduced item. Export it to DXF (or similar) format to import into SolidWorks. This way, if you have a lot of text, you won't have to custom-treat each letter to gradually shrink or expand (time-consuming).

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

Thanks guys, I think the method of using an outside dxf file and importing it will be easier. The lettering is a "Beer Company" name and it's being embossed on a billet cone shaped tap handle for their special celebration edition stuff or something. The import function will allow us to use their font and logo. Nice job. Thanks a bunch.

db and the crew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back