Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tapped hole in round part

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolcad

Mechanical
Feb 27, 2004
US
Trying to put a tapped hole in a round part. However, there is no surface for the cosmetic thread to be created. In the past I have created a c-bore at the diameter and depth necessary for the cosmetic thread to work. But this isn't a true representation of what I want. It also makes it difficult to dimension on the drawing because the hole is not a true circle.

Is this a SW limitation or is there another way?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can add the cosmetic thread manually by going to Inseert, Annotations, Cosmetic Thread. I have seen this work when the auto-created one in the hole wizard does not.

What version of SW are you using. It works fine for me in SW2004.

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

Check that you have the View > All Annotations selected.

Also in the Feature Manager RMB Annotations & make sure you have Display Annotations selected

[cheers]

I am using SW2005 SP2. But this has been a problem forever. All the annotation settings are on. When you create the hole using the hole wizard, you will get an error saying that the cosmetic thread cannot be created. I created a plane tangent to the surface of the cylinder and place the hole wizard on that surface. How would you do it to get it to work?

I just click on the surface, then activate the Hole Wizard, set the options, constrain the point, then Finish ... no problem. I'm using SW2004.

[cheers]

So what were you doing?

[cheers]

I created a surface tangent to the cylinder and then used that surface to place the hole. I've always been under the impression that you had to have a plane or flat surface to create a sketch. Apparently not.

Corb: Nice trick, but I can only dimension from 1 edge of the arc. Assume in this example, the arc is drawn on the top plane: After using the hole wizard, I can dimension from the left edge to the point of the hole, but I cannot dimension from the top of the arc down to the hole point. How do you dimension or constrain it so it will not be a "floating" hole?

Flores

Arc?

[cheers]

I used Corb's method but first I created a plane tangent to the curve at the location I needed the hole. Then I make the hole wizard point coincident to the plane. Then I was able to measure from one end to further constrain it. There probably are other ways, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back