Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tapped Hole Modeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodneyb

Mechanical
Jun 26, 2001
US
Is there some where you can download nuts with the actual tapped section intact. I can easily find the screws and bolts but not the nuts. I am creating a mold and need have the tapped section modeled.
Thanks,
-R

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you draw a new model and subtract the bolt to give the female threads in the nut?

OR

Just draw a basic nut and call out the correct info on the drawing? I'm sure the model of the thread doesn't matter, as long as the BOM calls out the right part. (unless you are using finite modelling to test a thread)

Good Luck!

Most CAD packages don't do that. They probably do something similar to SolidWorks which is identifying the properties of a solid model of a nut as having such-and-such thread, thereby facilitating matching with a corresponding bolt. Neither of which has actual threads modeled in it.

Modeling the actual threads requires a spiral cut and that gobbles up wa-a-a-ayy too much disk space. I think you'll have a tough time finding what you seek.

TygerDawg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back