Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tappet Side Oil Drain Holes (pushrod valvetrain)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kradicke

Mechanical
Jun 19, 2002
US
Does anyone have any empirical data about the benefits of putting oil drain holes in the side of a tappet body in an attempt to improve camshaft/tappet face lubrication?

This is for an OHV engine with a pushrod valvetrain. The tappets do not have pressurized oil feeds, they only receive drainback oil from what was delivered to the rocker assembly. BMC/British Leyland started to include these oil drain holes on the sides of the buckettappets in the late 1960s. I am designing a tool steel tappet and need to make the decision about whether to include these oil drain holes or not. I seem to be the only detractor in our office. My thoughts:

1) Because there is no mechanical link between the tappet and camshaft, the location of the oil drain back hole is only optimal at any given time by pure chance. One would suggest then that rather than having a single drainage hole, that a greater number of smaller drainage holes (2, 3, 4?) would provide a more regulated discharge with a greater chance of dumping the oil on the actual camshaft lobe.

2) How can the tappet possibly be stationary long enough, in its vertical stroke, to collect any oil to reasonably perform the intended job of the drainage hole? Perhaps at extremely low engine speeds (idle), there is enough time for the tappet to sit rather still on the base circle of the cam and allow for the steady collection and discharge of oil... but oil delivery volume to the rocker assembly, and therefore drainage down to the tappets for collection, will also be at its lowest at idle. At higher RPM, the tappet must be moving through its stroke with such changes in acceleration that it surely must do a better job flinging the oil back up the lifter bore rather than collecting it and delivering it through the drainage hole when the tappet settles back down on the camshaft base circle.

3) On most of the engines I have seen with this type of tappet with the side drainage holes, there are still other avenues of drainage that allows the oil runoff from the rocker assembly to by-pass the tappets as the drainback route. In order to increase the volume of oil that could be caught and drained through the tappets, those other avenues of drainage from the rocker assembly should be blocked/restricted.

So overall I'm skeptical that this design feature actually does anything positive. I would love to hear other comments and if anyone (Greg Locock?) knew of any studies from the 60s/70s/80s done by the major manufacturers of the time, that input would be much appreciated.

I've taken some photos to illustrate the design feature being discussed. The tappet in the photos is a tool steel tappet we manufacture for Triumph TR3/TR4 race engines, that we included the drainage hole in (without any critical thought at the time as to whether it actually did any good).

Exterior View:
tappet-drain-exterior-view.JPG

Interior View (note the tip of my pen):
tappet-drain-interior-view.JPG

Thanks,

Kai

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

kradicke-

Unfortunately, that hole will do nothing to alter the dynamic lubrication contact conditions existing at your tappet/cam lobe interface. Most of the oil collected in the tappet body just gets tossed out during each lift event. In fact, the oil film contact conditions at the tappet/cam lobe would probably not even be improved much if oil was sprayed directly at the area.

The most effective thing you can do to improve the contact conditions at the tappet/cam lobe interface would be to optimize the contact geometry through improved tolerance control and surface finish.

tbuelna,

Thanks for the reply and for confirming what I personally believe as well, although that still makes me wonder why anyone bothered to do it to begin with (perhaps it just made them sleep better at night?).

We're already superfinishing our lifter faces after grinding. Similarly, our cams are CNC ground directly from our original design data tables (data tables defined down to 1/100,000,000 of an inch - 0.00000001") with CBN grinding wheels and then they too go through a micropolishing routine using a specialized camshaft micropolishing system we bought. So our tolerances and our finishes are currently as good as we can achieve... but that doesn't stop us from looking for additional improvements either in design of the components or in the manufacturing/finishing process.

Kai

I have my doubts that the purpose of the hole is to provide lubrication at all. It looks to me like it just makes a small reduction in parasitic losses by not having to throw so much oil around.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

some discussion here, including legitmate sounding concerns about edge effect stress concentration -

OHC engines probably have an advantage in regards lesser required spring loads etc, but it still seems they are immune to the wear that flat tappets suffer.
I picture in part that is because there is oil available right there at the interface, unlike the poor flat tappet hanging upside down like a bat in a cave. I'd like to re-purpose some piston squirter nozzles on the next flat tappet engine I play with equipped with lots of pump capacity.

The folks that make cylindrical (and even taper roller) roller bearings started subtley blending the edges of their rollers back in the last millenium. Even with perfect alignment the edges are a big stress concentration.
Swapping a slightly higher nominal stress for the elimination of the edge effect is invariably better, especially when real manufacturing tolerances apply.

The EDM oil holes you'll see in US V6 and V8 lifters are because the tappet body has access to pressurized oil a drilling in the tappet bore. Thus they're able to direct that supply of pressurized oil through the tappet body and out the small EDM made hole on the tappet face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back