Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TD Williamson Split Tee wall thickness 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bennytheball

Petroleum
Jan 26, 2006
GB
I'm trying to do some stress analysis on a Hot tap connection # 600 20" x 12" encirclement split tee but the cleint does not have any information on the tee. Does anybody ahve a drawing or know the wall thickness for both the branch and sleeve?

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It might depend on the material used, its yield stress, the design code, the operating pressure and temperatue, the class location (if a gas line), and quite a lot of other variables that we would not know anything about at all, so rather than guessing all those... I fold.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not moving fast enough."
- Mario Andretti- When asked about transient hydraulics

In lieu of measuring the thickness I would give TDW a call.

On the TDW's repair sleeves there is a descriptive serial number that will tell you the material and thickness of same. I don't know whether it's the same for a tapping tee.

Cheers for the responses. I've tried the TDW route but they seem very reluctant to supply the information. I assume it's because theres nothing it for them!!!

I know the linepipe information but don't know the tee data? Has anybody used a similar tee?

Many thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does the Tee have a serial number as posted above?
If yes go to the link below and it will give you the information you need.

Was this Tee purchased for this particular line?
If yes get the purchase order as it should have been ordered to match the design conditions of the line.

If the Tee is in your possession can you get a ball mike and measure the thickness. Again if ordered for this particular line it should be of the same material or better

Yes we have used these Tee's several times and have always ordered them to meet the line spec's. They must work as the first one we installed around 1961 is still in service.

Bennytheball said:
I'm trying to do some stress analysis on a Hot tap connection # 600 20" x 12" encirclement split tee but the cleint does not have any information on the tee. Does anybody ahve a drawing or know the wall thickness for both the branch and sleeve?

I've had good luck talking to TDW, maybe if you call and ask for engineering rather than sales it would help. Or perhaps you can ask "is the wall thickness the same as the attached pipe"...

For a pipe stress I'd be asking for a SIF or the like rather than wall thickness... if you're trying to get a good idea of the sif then you probably need geometry (radius at the crotch) as well.... or it may be that your stress is low enough that you can say "it will be fine".

SLH

I think doberdorks has come closer to solving your dilemma than anyone else. Take a few measurements, read a flange legend, and go from there.

Beeee Careful! At some point in this thread the asumption was made that a steel repair sleeve will have a similar thickness as a tapping tee. Tapping fittings are dimensioned to compensate for the material lost during the tap. These equations are code driven. Repair sleeves are used in a different manner and controlled by different equations.

Thanks again everybody for all your input.

I've still not made any progress with this and not recieved any sensible information from the client or TDW.

The tee is fitted to a natural gas pipeline operating at 900 PSI.
Split tee has this PART No. PN-6-8812-2012 stamped on it(see attached photo). The TDW literature states a design factor of 0.72 MWP 1480 PSI @ 100 F. The actual tee fitted to the pipeline has 1440 psi stamped on as the MWP?

Linepipe is X52 with an assummed OD of 508mm & 9mm WT

Any guidance on SIF & radius at the crotch would be greatly appreciated! or any tee design information

Thanks again

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ea02ac01-f425-4b74-895a-12eca6dd69b7&file=DSC00985.JPG
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back