Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

TDI Wizard on Win10 - How to manually configure files without running TDI Wizard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black87

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2005
US
Hello,
We are updating computer OS from Win7 to Win10. We are using NX I-deas 6.2 with Teamcenter 8.3. The reason we keep using NX I-deas 6.2 is to run CMM to migrate I-deas files to NX sometime.
What I need your help for is,

How to configure files manually without running TDI Wizard on Win10 machine.

I know TDI Wizard doesn't run on WIn10 machine, but also I know NX I-deas 6.2 should work fine on Win10 machine from other member's post.
Can anybody tell me what files should be updated and how?
It doesn't have to be a complete solution, but can be a partial hint/ idea. I will appreciate anything.
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you had any luck with this? We are looking at centrally locating our license to another location. Not having much luck with NX-Ideas 6.3. THink we might have to upgrade as we are running windows 10 and the TDI wizard runs through the motion but I don't think it does anything.

Currently we have manually edit the ideas_param.dat file (Team.DflexlmConfiguration:9918@XXX) on the networked "Team\Master\Config\" folder

and also edit our local "NXI63/Bin" setup_varbs.cmd (set UGS_LICENSE_SERVER=28000@XXXX)

After this we ran the TDI wizard that seems to respond but no change happens. Still pointing to the original server. Did we miss something?

Hi guys!

Old post, but I only check these once a quarter or so since there is so little traffic on I-deas these days.

Most of the users I work with are in your boat, especially since Win 7 ended in Jan. 2020, with needing to move I-deas to a Win 10 machine.

Siemens did not officially test or certify I-deas on Win 10 until 6.6, but there has been no changes to the code that should impact anything (in most cases "changes" were due to things that fail on Win 10 and we indicated those in the README notes for I-deas 6.6, 6.7, and 6.8 (due next week), as they were found.

So you should probably not find any problems with 6.2 or higher on Win 10, but note that GTAC will try their best to support, but cannot file any PR's for that combination.

So for TDI Wizard, it does work in Win 10, but maybe I misread the statement (maybe it means the old 6.2 version will not work). As I said, not much changed there, so it should work.

The main thing the Wizard does is set or define the IDEAS_PARAM variable and update the registry if needed.

You can still do the IDEAS_PARAM setting manually, just as in older releases, if needed.

In this case, @swale2: I wonder if you have some script or local variable that is overriding and still pointing IDEAS_PARAM to your old TDM?

For the OP, @Black82: you mentioned that you are using 6.2 due to CMM. If that means it's the only reason you use I-deas (e.g. to write PKG files to feed to CMM), that makes sense. But if you mean you are not upgrading to a newer I-deas (e.g. 6.8 out next week) due to CMM, then that's not a good reason. There is no dependency between I-deas and CMM. Any I-deas version can feed the latest CMM since input is PKG. CMM itself has all the I-deas code it needs built in (it is not "using" your locally installed I-deas at all).

Hi Pat,

Good to hear I-Deas 6.8 is being released. We had to back out of 6.7 and go back to 6.6 due to the license borrowing freeze bug.

Presumably this is fixed in 6.8 ? Any more info on what's new in 6.8 ?

@Rothers:

I was not aware there was a Borrow Freeze problem with I-deas 6.7.

I saw a report that there was such an issue in NX that was resolved in the NX 1872 Series - September 2019 Update (NX 1884):

If the reported NX problem was due to an issue in the FlexLM libs, then it could also have impacted I-deas (although I did not see any PR's on it).

The freeze issue apparently started in NX 1847 and I-deas 6.7 used the same license libs.

I-deas 6.8 uses the same license libs as NX 1926, which does not have the freeze issue.

So if the problem is with those libs, then yes, it would be fixed in 6.8.

But as I said, I did not see any PR's reported against I-deas so we did make any explicit changes to I-deas for that at least not in I-deas code (or a PR came in and got assigned to License team and therefore fixed there, as I mentioned above, without the PM (me) seeing it).

Either way, thanks for sharing that. I will keep an eye open.

@CADpat,

It's IR 8431870

The info we recieved from Siemens UK GTAC was: "when working with borrowed licenses NX freezes every 5 minutes to check for a heartbeat from the license server, the problem gets worse as the check takes longer to perform every 5 minutes until NX becomes unusable."

I've just looked on GTAC and I can't find reference to it.

We got hit by this when we moved from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and so upgraded I-Deas NX 6.3 -> 6.7 and NX 10 -> NX 1847

Fixed by downgrading I-Deas to 6.6 and upgrading NX to 1888. Fortunatly we found this in a test enviroment although the Schema in I-Deas hasn't changed since 6.3 so the lastest versions of I-Deas are backwards compatible :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back