Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Teamcenter and Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wittenborn

Aerospace
Jun 5, 2003
US
Hello all,

My company has started to implement Teamcenter and iMan. We are having problems setting up our organization of master UG files and specification (non-master) files.

In the past, we have set up one file, with a 3D solid, and all the corresponding drawings in ONE file. Now we are going to the master model method, with a 3D object in one file, and drawings in separate files.

Here lies the problem. Under revision 'A', I have a master UG file which contains the full 3D geometry. Under this same dataset, I have a specification file (a non-master file) that contains drawings. Potentially, I could have multiple specifications for multiple drawings, all under the same dataset.

When I create a revision 'B' of the 3D model, I can 'copy' all the specifications to the revision 'B' dataset, but they retain the revision 'A' name, and the file in 'B' is really the same file as in 'A'. This is not so good from a book keeping point of view.

Here is what I really want to do. When I create a revision 'B' of a 3D part, I want all the specifications pertaininig to revision 'A' to be rolled into revision 'B' too, having no link to 'A'.

If anyone has experience with Teamcenter, I sure would appreciate your help! I would also be interested in how your company/group organizes 3D models and drawings.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Regards,
Grant Wittenborn
Aerospace Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'll try to answer your question...

Looks like you have gotten over the first hurdle of seperating the drawing from the model file...that one usually causes some head-scratching, but can be done (associatively).

Our site uses only one Spec file per part, with any drawing sheets contained in the same file. We do this to keep Parts Lists and balloons etc. in sync. Our sister division uses seperate files for the drawings, so I guess it can be done. Our concern here is that you have to re-create the Parts List in each file to drive the associative balloons.

When you create a new ItemRevision, it does start out to be a copy of the file at the last revision...but you are going to make changes to it right (that's why you went up a Rev). If your Revision note on the drawing format is associative to the DB_PART_REV attribute, it will update automatically. If it is a manual type-in, you will have to correct it every time.

I'll check with our other site to see how they are getting these multiple drawing files in... I just assumed they are multiple Spec's.

By the way, be careful with the TeamCenter name - it is EDS's latest way to confuse all of their users. TeamCenter is the name for all of their PLM products; iMAN is Tc-Engineering, Metaphase is Tc-Enterprise, etc.

Terry

here is our take on this topic :

in iMAN we create an ITEM (1 cherry), from which is a ITEM REVISION (3 Cherries), under which are our datasets. We have a Master which is the 3D Model and a Specification which is the 2D Drawing. ( the Model feeds data to the Drawing ).
If we have multiple sheet drawings (and we do... lots) then all these multiple sheets are in just the one Specification dataset.
when we raise an issue this is done within UG.
1. we open the existing released revision of the drawing, we cannot change this coz it is released and locked down.
2. we make the master model the displayed part from the ANT.
3. we do a save as on this and assign the next REV alpha
4. a dialogue window appears whereby we highlight the drawing to go with the Master to the next rev. (at this point all sheets are taken as they are all in the one Specification dataset)
in our case we do add the rev manually to the sheet.
5. we then make mods as required, save and release.

forgive me if I didn't catch the question correctly

regards........ gary
CAx Manager / Lead Design Engineer
Moog Controls UK

Our system is set up in a similar way as Gary's. However to make a revision. You highlight the last Item Revision and select File + Revise... A dialog box then pops up with two tabs, the first Item Details assigns the name, rev etc., the second, Advanced, lists all the items (datasets, references) that reside in the previous rev and what will be transfered to the next. The datasets will have a selectable button next to them, initially on our system sets these to Copy as Reference when I want to revise the associated dataset I change this to Copy. Click on Ok and the next revision will be applied to the Item. If you open both the previous and new revision items you will notice that both have the same dataset (or appear the same). However, the previous revisions dataset is write protected while the new rev is revisable. Unless you physically change the dataset's name through Properties every time you revise the Item all revisions will carry the original datsets name.

Ken

In our company, we have the 3D math separated from the drawing information. We use the specification relationship to contain our UGMASTER/geo_fin dataset information. We separate the UGPART/drawing dataset out and place it in the manifestation relationship.

We then have workflow processes that allow us to release the Item Revision,geo_fin dataset, item revision master form and/or bomview revision separately from the drawing dataset. We also have workflow procedures that allow us to release the item revision, geo_fin dataset, drawing dataset, item revision master form and/or bomview revision together.

With the drawing in the manifestation relationship, it will save with the up-level revision.

If you need any clarification or more information, please let me know.

Lynn Ploss
General Motors
Engineering and Design Assistance (CAD support)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back