Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Technical advance in aeronautical projects 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

maguirre

Industrial
Jun 13, 2001
ES
Does anybody have any idea about an easy way to measure the technical advance of the work, in a Detailed aeronautical Design? The released weight? but with the 100% of weigth released, still remains the assy and installation drawings, which doesn,t add weight.

Than you!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear maguire,

Iam not an aeronautical engineer,but the approach to % progress,is decided by you or your firm,i.e you devide the project activities into : 1. Design (0-100 % ) ,with a weight of say 30% of the total activities,so when it 100% complete ,this means (100% x 3o% )= 30% project completed

Next manufacturing weighted value (say 50% ),when all complete it is (100% x 50% ) = 50%

Now assembly ,weighted value (20% ),and only 50% is complete,so (50% x 20% )=10%

So total completion is 30% (design)+ 50% (manufacturing)+ 10% (assembly) = 90%,so another 10% is to be completed before you go on the runway !!

I hope ,I am in the right direction

Regards,

Whylie

When you create your work breakdown structure, that is the listing of tasks involved in the project, define AT THAT TIME what constitutes completion of that task as well as the weighting of that task in relation to the complete project.

Use tasks small enough so that each is easily manageable but not so small so that the project structure becomes overly cumbersome. In construction a good rule of thumb is keeping tasks less than $10,000 or so. (Unless it is the delivery of a major item of equipment.) You may want some other criteria say man-hours of design time.

The weight to of a task can be based on the $ value, the man-hours spent on the task or some other criteria. You can also use multiple weighting of tasks. That would allow you to sat that the project is x% complete based on man-hours, y% complete based on dollars expended and z% complete based on number of critical tasks completed.

I don’t know anything about aeronautical design but I would think that released weight is not a good measure. The heavy components may be easy to design (and therefore take less man-hours) and the final small components may be light and time consuming to design.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back