Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Technical assistance needed in designing an inverter using Ganfet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael_O

Industrial
Sep 23, 2017
NG
Hello, I am in need of technical assistance in designing a solar inverter using gallinium nitride fet. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the area of MPPT DC/DC converter stage. Redesigning the converter to work with ganfet is my priority.
i will come up with a schematic soon. Thanks

Google says that there are bespoke Gate Driver ICs for GANFETs. So inserting them into an existing design should be "straightforward". :)

Beware of more / higher frequency EMI from the corners of the faster switching speed. The device might fail EMI qualification testing if this wasn't addressed during the detailed design and prototyping.

Also, if the designer wishes to crank-up the switching frequency to take advantage of the faster transistors, then the main inductor might have to be redesigned to be optimum.

If you're using an H-bridge Buck-Boost design (a la LTC3780, which is the coolest thing ever), then all four of your new transistors will be equally fast. But if you're using a simpler design with a diode and then you crank up the speed, then check diode speed implications.

Disclaimer: I've not been anywhere near this topic hands-on, so these points are worth what you pay for them. Just suggestions based on my other experiences.

It sounds like a fun project. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back