Technical drawing reading 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazyar

Automotive
Oct 9, 2004
IR
Hi
I am new to this field and recently asigned to develop a cooling system for a cvt transmission.
During studying sae j1231 i came across two designations that i can not understand. Any help with this regard is highly appreciated
1- R 0.025/1.00
2- R 1.00-2.25

Best regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi
I know that they are radius callouts but i do not understand the meaning of character "/" between 0.025 and 1.00 or character "-" between 1.00 and 2.25

2016-10-24_20-42-47_h6hyy9.jpg

thx

The meaning of each character is the same. They both signify a range of acceptable dimensions (from 0.025 mm to 1.00 mm, from 1.00 mm to 2.25 mm). SAE does not adhere to stringent format rules for their standards, so you can see many examples like this when using their standards.

As others noted the radius callouts appear to be limit dimensions. I'm sure that if you dig thru all the SAE documents associated with your J1231 standard you'll eventually find a statement like this one from AS4296 - Drawing Interpretation and Standard Machining Practices, Couplings, Fittings and Hose Ends, Fluid Systems: "Unless otherwise specified in this standard, drawing interpretations contained in ASME Y14.5M-1994 shall apply."

Looking at my somewhat more current copy (2009) of ASME Y14.5, section 2.2(a) only includes the use of a dash between the limit values placed in a single line, and not a slash as shown in the OP. "2.2(a) Limit Dimensioning - ........ When expressed in a single line, the low limit precedes the high limit and a dash separates the two values." So it may be possible your J1231 standard document contains a small error.

If you have lots of free time and nothing better to do, there is a formal procedure for submitting corrections to the relevant SAE standard committee.

Hope that helps.
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back