Technical Paper 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony71

Jul 31, 2008
IT
Hi,

I'm trying to find the following Paper:

Islinger J. S., "Stress analysis and stress measurement for a swept back wing having ribs parallel to the airstream", McDonnel Aircraft Corp., Report 1127, April 1949.

There is someone who can help me for my research?...

thanks a lot to everybody!!..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm mostly a small government guy, but I do feel the federal government is a good choice for compiling, maintaining, and making available technical resources produced using taxpayer funds. Most federal agencies involved in basic research make their work, and the work of their contractors, available to the public in most cases. While I would question the value provided to taxpayers for much of this research spending, I don't think the federal government is doing a poor job making the information produced available to the public.

Anthony71,

To get back to your query, you mention that you are interested in the matrix force method of structural analysis.
Unfortunately this approach is not much used these days and all FE programs, such as MSC Nastran are displacement-based.
I think the reason is that the displacement approach is simpler to code since in the force method the user must define the redundancies
(the statically-indeterminate unknown internal loads). This is unfortunate since the force method leads directly to the required internal loads,
in contrast with the displacement method where they are calculated via the unknown displcements.

If you are interested in reading up on the force method there are three classic books:

Theory of Matrix Structural Analysis by J.S. Przemienicki (available in Dover edition).

Energy Theorems and Structural Analysis, by J.H. Argyris and S. Kelsey

Modern Fuselage Analysis and the Elastic Aircraft, also by Argyris and Kelsey.

Try Abe Books for the last two.

Be aware though, that Modern Fuselage Analysis is not for the faint-hearted!

If you Google with key words such as "airframe structural analysis" you may come across older papers on the force method; this has been my experience.

All the best.

Andries

Andries,

thanks a lot for your post. I think that Force Method is a very good tool for structural analysis, in particular for "quick look analysis" in aircraft structures. I read a lot of work of Dr. Robinson (in particular The Rank Force Method).
I have all the books that you kindly suggest to me in your post. All very nice!!..I contact Dr. J.S. Przemienicki, because he also has wrote an interesting paper about the fuselage structural analysis (before the great work of Argyris-Kelsey), named "Matrix Analysis of Shell Structures with Flexible Frames", which method has been applied to fuselage of Bristol Airplane Company Type 188, for load path definition. I ask him the possibility to see the detail work about the application with a more complex example in the doc. "Matrix Analysis of Fuselage Structures", Bristol Aircraft Ltd, England, Tech. Rept. TOR 104, 1957. But unfourtunaly he doesn't have it. I tried also to have another work of Dr. Przemienicki and of Dr. Denke for Douglas Aricraft about Substructure Method with Matrix Force Method
The paper of Dr. Islinger is important for my studies for swept covers in particular for wing structures application (I see the work of Dr. Schmitt in Bruhn A22 where the paper of Dr. Islinger is cited in reference, and the great work of Wehle and Lansing of Grumman Aerospace).
I hope to find something about the this subject.
Thanks to everybody for all help and also for all post...all so interesting (about the organization of stress office!!)..it is a pleasure to read it!!..
Antonio

anthony71

With the added information you posted regarding the Bristol Aircraft Ltd, I can suggest the following. I would recommend you contact the National Aerospace Library and if you are in the area I highly recommend visiting them. They have a very large library of data including original OEM data dating back to the early 20th century. I was able to obtain copies of some very rare documents with their assistance and the staff was very helpful. I visited them a few years ago as part of my research and spent a most fruitful day locating some data which I had thought otherwise unobtainable. Note the data is not electronic and you must pay for reproduction. However the staff is excellently qualified and if it exists in their library, they will be able to locate it.Here is their address:

National Aerospace Library,
The Hub,
Fowler Avenue,
IQ Farnborough,
FARNBOROUGH,
Hampshire,
GU14 7JP

good luck

anthony71- My first engineering job back in the early 80's was with McDonnell-Douglas in Huntington Beach, CA. At that time there was an actual technical library located within the plant with real books that you could check out. You could also obtain a hard copy of any technical document in the company archives. All you had to do was fill out a request and the librarian would locate it and get a copy for you.

I'm sure if you contact the Boeing (McDonnell-Douglas) technical library in St. Louis and explain that you need a copy of the Islinger paper for your academic studies, they'd be quite happy to provide a copy, assuming it exists in their archives.

By Googling "Wing Redundant Structure Analysis Methods" I came across the following reports on applications of the Force Method:

1. "Some Refinements to Wing Redundant Structure Analysis Methods", Grumman Report ADR 04-03b-61.3, downloadable from dtic.

2. "The Matrix Force Method of Structural Analysis and Some New Applications" by Argyris and Kelsey, ARC R & M No. 3034. Downloadable from Cranfield site.

Andries

Crackman,

thanks a lot for your post. I know the National Aerospace Library and I agree with you, the staff is excellent under all aspects. I live in Venice (Italy) so for me it is not easy to visit it, but with the support of stuff I obtain a lot of old papers and documents (just for example 2 paperes of Dr. Eggwertz about numerical structural solution and test of a swept wing, and a paper of Dr. Carpenter Boeing and application of Argyris Method of Fuselage Structural Analysis under thermal loads), important for my studies. Unfortunately the paper "Matrix Analysis of Fuselage Structures", Bristol Aircraft Ltd, is not present in Library. I try also with Bristol Airplane Heritage and with BAE Heritage, but nothing. I try to contact Prof. Glyn Davies (Imperial College and author of great work "Virtual Work in Structural Analysis) who has worked for Bristol Airplane, but no answer. I suppost that this valuable document has been lost definitively. Any other suggests are very welcome.
Thanks very much!!!...

Tbuelna,

thanks a lot for your suggest. I try to explain to Boeing stuff all about my reaserach and I hope they could help me.
Thanks very much!!!..

Andries,

thanks a lot for all help. I have also this two papers. I have studied it two years ago...very interesting..
Papers of Pr. Argyris are all undoubtedly milestone of Finte Element.
It is also a pleasure for me to read about the life of this man, I have the book "Early Fem poineers" of Dr. Robinson (the only regret is that the book lacks his own biography)...

Thanks a lot to all for the help...and for me it a pleasure to ave the possibility to talk with people who love this subject!!..

anthony71

I will look and see if any of my contacts and resources can locate it. By the way, di origine sono di trieste pero sono piu di trent'anni che abito qui in America. I miei parenti sono ancora in italia e viaggio un paio di volte a l'anno a trovarli. Ho parecchi collegamenti in italia col lavoro e in particolare con delle ricerche che al momento sto svolgendo. Comunque ti augoro buona fortuna e vedro se ti posso aiutare.

Good luck

Crackman,

thanks a lot for all help.

Grazie davvero per tutto l'aiuto. Conosco la zona di Trieste, ho avuto diversi colleghi e collaboratori della zona. Io non sono mai stato in America, anche se ho collaborato per diversi anni con grandi Aziende americane aeronautiche, a Venezia. Molti miei colleghi sono stati lì. Da qualche anno sono in contatto anche con l'Università di Torino, Dipartimento Aerospaziale. Ho da poco terminato un corso aziendale (in collaborazione proprio con l'Università di Torino) sulla Fatica e sui compositi (teoria e applicazioni FEM).
Mi piacerebbe davvero tanto rimanere in contatto con te, sarebbe un vero piacere.

Grazie ancora e spero di sentirci prestissimo,
Antonio

Hi mohr,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion..
I've the book: J. H. Argyris, S. Kelsey "Modern Fuselage Analysis and Elastic Aircraft" and it is a great work!! Perfect suitable for digital computer application. Inside this book is cited the work of Dr. Przemienicki "Matrix Analysis of Shell Structures with Flexible Frames" (that I've obtained with the excellent work of the personal of National Aerospace Library) as reference and Argyris-Kelsey wrote that the work of Przemienicki has some limitations: fuselage not tapered, singly connected ring/frame, manual formation of b0 and b1 matrix, some matrix condition problems for symmetrical and antisymmetrical systems. So would be, for me, very intersting to find the application of complex example application of the method of Dr. Przemienicki.
I know that the Boeing Program FUSARG is based on the work of Argyris-Kelsey (ref. Carpenter "DEVELOPMENT OF THERMALLY INDUCED INITIAL DISPLACEMENT MATRICES FOR THE FUSELAGE ANALYSIS PROGRAM", and "Analysis of the B747 Aircraft Wing-Body Intersection" Hansen, Connacher, Dougherty, Anderton) and I hope to find more details about the application of the method in Boeing.
I read also a paper of Dr. H. Kamel "Automatic Analysis of Fuselages and Problems of Conditioning" of Static and Dynamic Institute of Stuttgart, an intteresting evolution of the work of Argyris-Kelsey (utilization of so-called super-matrix).

Thanks again for all,
Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back