Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Tee connectors in Switchgear

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickParker

Electrical
Sep 1, 2017
NL
I'm not accustomed to the Tee connector termination kits.
Termination_kit_urxteh.jpg

Why is it used rather than the straight termination kit like the below one?
Straight_Termination_kit_uj0g8m.jpg

Where the Tee connector termination kits are typically used and how is it better than straight termination kits?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've been in the industry for some time and the only application where I've personally seen these t-body connectors used are in xfmrs, but I know they can be used in switchgear. Your picture showing the t-body connectors suggests very limited space for the terminations. A traditional bolted busbar application like your last pic requires a bit more "real-estate" to obtain proper busbar spacing, etc. This could be one reasons why they chose these style connectors.

I wouldn't necessarily say t-body connectors are better than traditional-bolted busbar connections utilizing standard crimp-compression lugs (the latter is my preference). The t-body connector can be purchased with a capacitive test point on the insulating plug which provides a means of testing the circuit without having to disturb the bolted connection. My understanding is that it provides hot-stick operable means of determining circuit condition. Also, if you have an application where a t-body load-break elbow is installed, a hot-stick can be utilized to connect (or disconnect) at voltage and under load. I've personally never come across this (nor would I have the guts to do it) but they're used in certain applications where power outages are extremely costly.

What are the two voltages? Top one looks like shielded medium voltage cable and the bottom one doesn't.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

I am familiar with similar angle connectors.
Why the tee?
Educated guess;
Safety?
To provide a place to connect grounding chains?

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

The T connector terminations provide a dead-front installation. All accessible parts are grounded. Insulated caps would be placed on the open end. Additional connectors can also be added to the open end, either non-load break 600A or load break 200A elbows that can be removed with hot sticks.

Usually, dead-front connectors are used in pad mounted switches or vaults, not in metal-clad switchgear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back