Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Teflon contact material with highest Co-ef of friction (D&S)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbyod

Industrial
May 11, 2010
US
Hi all,
Im looking for a material with a high (relative to teflon on steel) co efficient of friction on teflon.

I have managed to find (google)
0.04 steel-teflon
0.44 brass-teflon
0.24 Aluminium-Teflon

but i would like some more options and i am unsure of the accuracy of the above results.

Material chosen will be used in a push/feed wheel for teflon tubing which must rely on friction to function. I would prefer not to have to knurl the wheel so the co-ef of friction will be critical.

It will also have to feed exact lengths of teflon so will be stopping and starting a lot.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Polyurethane.

You may still be screwed.
Try to strip some teflon-insulated wire.
Note how you need three wraps around something to keep it from sliding.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Note that Teflon is not one distinct material but a family of at least three chemically different fluoropolymers marketed by DuPont under one name.

You are probably referring to PTFE. Just wanted to give you a heads-up so that you can make sure the numbers you are using are the right ones, i.e. that they really do apply to PTFE and not some completely different polymer.

Chris DeArmitt PhD FRSC CChem

Consultant to the plastics industry

Good idea just blast a metal wheel to add a light, non abrasive texture or coat a metal wheel with rubber, possibly adding some silica into the rubber formulation to increase grip.

Chris DeArmitt PhD FRSC CChem

Consultant to the plastics industry

Yes it is PTFE,

Any durable material will do or likewise a non chemically applied coating/layer (Mechanically secured) on a different base material would do

Im trying to keep the solution as simple as possible.

Manufacturing Engineer
Clonmel, Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back