Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Teflon shim (washer) between 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarayba

Mechanical
Aug 23, 2005
BA
Hello everybody,
Do I need teflon pads between the legs of the heat exchanger and concrete / steel. What is the practice? Do some standard covers? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you mean slide bearing support?

Yes, horizontal exchangers shall be fixed on one saddle and free to move in the longitudinal direction at the other saddle.

Your sliding saddle does not always require teflon pads. They just need to have the ability to move. i.e. slotted bolt holes.

Not sure if TEMA has any guidelines, but all of our exchangers are just resting on the metal supports.

ripaklee, thank you. However I am aware about necessity for free moving of HE, but some suppliers require slide bearing support (teflon plate) between HE support foot and concrete foundation. Some of them ask me to put steel plate instead of teflon. Is there any firm practice or standard? tnx.

The standard is clear that the Vendor shall be responsible for the design of the supports - with or without PTFE on the slide bearing saddle - and the Purchaser for the design review.

For further reading on PTFE slide plate assembly, please visit the website of Carpenter & Paterson Ltd. or similar manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back