Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TEG dehydration 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CO2

Chemical
Aug 8, 2002
NO
We are considering using a TEG dehydration unit for drying of CO2 (230 t/hr from a power plant). I guess this unit will be quite similar to the units used for dehydration of natural gas.

I am looking for names and contact details of prospective vendors (whether it be design only or design and construct) who have experience in this field?

Regards
Tor

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The TEG dehydration unit is to remove water in the gas streams up to 4 - 7 lb water/MMSCF. CO2 will also dissolve in the glycol but is not as much as water because of the affinity. I suggest you to use an Amine system instead of Glycol system to remove CO2. There are many process companies that do TEG dehydradition unit. What is the mainly component in your power plant composition stream and what is the CO2 and water %mol?

There are various references around for doing first pass calculations, for example Campbell Gas text books. A vendor can also help, there are various around.

I am currently designing two dehydration plants, using Hysys in order to simulate it.
Also using for references GPSA 11th edition.
Regards, anglo

I guess I am working on the same problem - CO2 liquification/ capture from power stations.
Did you find already a solution? I guess you will get problems with the CO2 also being solved in TEG. May be it is possible to work with silica gel, molecular sieves etc?

Sebastian

TEG PRocess is used in Offshore process for dehydration of gas. I have found companies like Samsung, Hyundai JApan doing basic design of it. Contact them

TEG works fine for CO2 dehydration as long as you have a flash tank to remove dissolved CO2 from the TEG before the stripper (assumes you're treating at pressure). We had two TEG units treating high CO2 streams (98%+ CO2) at about 500 PSIG for years (gas from a Hot Pot unit). They were taken out of service when the Hot Pot was shut down. One was a standard field-type TEG unit, the other was a custom-built unit w/ SS liner in the shell and stripper. No real problems with either one. Do be aware of the behavior of CO2 at supercritical pressures, though - density can approach that of TEG and carry the TEG out of the contactor in the overhead (seen it). TEG is great for removing water from nat gas or CO2 - just be careful with high CO2 streams above the CO2 critical!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back