Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Tehran Oil Refinery - Fire moment 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
It;s bit hard to be sure, the above may be from the fire reported to be
[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://twitter.com/IranNW/status/1400114646787444739[/URL]]Jun 2 - Tehran, #Iran Large fire reported at the Tondguyan Oil Refinery in Tehran. The Director-General of Tehran's Crisis Office said an emergency liquefied gas line at the Tondguyan Refinery in Tehran has caught fire.

Reported to involve 18 oil storage tanks.
In the video in the Instagram link ((McDermott1711's post), you can see that there was a partial failure allowing a cascade of ?? for an unknown period - certainly before the start of the video, prior to the complete ring failure. The containment was already saturated before the major release.

The tank in the middle failed in ring tension. Not sure what it contained, but it ignited instantaneously.

The Iranians are having a bit of bad luck recently, the poor things.

Is the movement caused by a camera on a mast, in the wind? I wrote a program about 30 years back to remove the motion so that the camera could be used for intrusion detection...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

What was posted appears to be a handheld cellphone video taken of the closed-circuit security video playing back on a computer screen. If you watch, about halfway through the video the cellphone was moved back enough to see the edge of the monitor.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-'Product Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Thanks, John... didn't watch the entire clip...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

The initial failure appears to be a seam splitting open between two rings of the tank. This probably weakened one of the rings which eventually ruptured. As to what caused the fire, we can only speculate but I would put my money on a ruptured conduit leading to some sort of electrical gear in the tank farm. Not sure what the protocol would be in a situation like this, but if I saw flammable liquids spilling, even into the containment area, the first thing I would consider would be to cut power to anything electrical near that containment area.

EX-'Product Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

I only saw "whitish liquid". The "black" appears to be the color of the inside walls of the tank.

EX-'Product Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The only thing I understood in the video was “LPG”. It’d be great if someone could translate what is said in the YouTube video.

Good Luck,
Latexman

That bund looks pretty small but like most others it isn't built to handle a sudden catastrophic tank failure so that's why the spillage is so large.

Just as well it caught fire very rapidly. I wouldn't want it burning away under those LPG tanks. A BLEVE of those would be seen from space.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Being the liquid was "whitish" and it ignited as quickly as it did, it was some sort of refined product, perhaps gasoline or jet-fuel.

EX-'Product Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Maybe it was naphtha, which can be colorless. Note that Iran produces over 3,400 metric tons of naphtha per year.

EX-'Product Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

I will make a wild guess here.
I think he is actually speaking very bad German, so you should talk to Lou Scannon.
He is saying something like this and now I will blame all the wrong words and spelling on the guy in the video.

In de zweitige komunine for them verletsstelle service mecher base ma kreuz LPG #¤/= ? %#""#¤&? #¤/= ? baro bar haupsytem Schlüssel.

In the second tank is the mechanical service distribution point for the LPG then something blablabla I cant hear/understand what he is saying and there is the pressure bar and main system, key.

B.R. A

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

From the YouTube video notes
[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wA9SHbefZk[/URL]]A terrible fire in Tehran's refinery..a terrible explosion 💣💣💣💣

#Fire 🔥 breaks out at Tehran Oil #Refinery ( The fire erupted at the state-owned Tondgooyan #Petrochemical Co. to the south of Tehran)
A huge fire broke out at an oil refinery in the southern part of the Iranian capital
#Tehran on #Wednesday (2 June 2021)

According to local reports 18 storage tanks caught fire in Tehran Refinery fire, IRAN (2 June 2021) ، 11 people were injured, with four in hospitals.

This scene is due to the disintegration of the tank shell due to oxidation decay. It starts from one end of the Joint Weld.
None of the protective layers could prevent the massive leakage of hydrocarbon material from such an accident.

The problem of tank maintenance and non-compliance with welding standards over time and inspection and review according to the checklists of the mechanical unit , suspect non compliance with the MI( Mechanical Integrity ) element of
PSM.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I reckon he is speaking Farsi.

They have loads of different lingos in the country so for most of the population they have to be able to communicate in Farsi but it may be their 3 or 4th lingo from birth.

It always a bit embarrassing for me hearing my fellow nationals going on about the accents and standard of English in these places. Most brits only speak one lingo English and for some of them I struggle with the accent and diction never mind a second language speaker which may actually be a 3rd to 6th in these sort of regions.

There is a a lot of Turkish lingo used and they mix and match some of them.

Politics aside I have always found the Irian people absolutely lovely, warm and helpful. Love their food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back