Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TEMA Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanrick

Mechanical
Mar 3, 2008
US
Does anyone know of an organization that offers training in the TEMA Standard? I did not see any training offered on the TEMA website.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

stanrick, never heard of any, just buy the standard and study it, it's mostly simple stuff. At least the 8th Ed. is, I haven't seen the 9th

Regards,

Mike

yeah, TEMA is a joy to work with compared to section VIII! if you've used sect. VIII, TEMA won't give you a lick of trouble, stanrick.

--------------------------------
Fitter, happier, more productive

The only issue I have with TEMA vs Sec VIII (Div 1, UHX) is the thickness of baffles. Regularly, I know that a thinner baffle is acceptable, but the customer wants TEMA R. I quote TEMA R baffles, and I get undercut by another fabricator. Sometimes I swear that they are using thinner baffles and not telling the customer. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Fegenbush

Thanks all. I've ordered the 9th edition.

Just one thing, though: I've been told by a more senior engineer that many of the TEMA Mechanical Standards are only "recommendations". An actual design needs only to be close to the Standard. It seems to me, then, that "meeting" TEMA Standards is different from "meeting" the ASME Code. Does the TEMA Standard make a clear distinction between "recommendations" and "requirements"?

stanrick, standards are just that, standards.

TEMA standards are generally minimums and cover things particular to S&T exchangers that the Code does not. They do not carry the force of law as a Code does, but...

If the client requires that a design meet the standards for some TEMA class, then to my mind, they are requirements, not recommendations.

Regards,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back