Temperature Limitation on ASME Material in Boiler pressure parts 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilanseran Ramadass

Mechanical
Feb 3, 2023
IN
Hello,

Pls find below Temperature limitation followed by an XYZ organization in designing the Boiler Pressure parts.

SA 106 Gr.B <425 Deg Cel
SA 335 Gr.P11 <510 Deg Cel
SA 335 Gr.P22 <560 Deg Cel
SA 335 Gr.P91 <560 Deg Cel

Can anyone please explain what is the basis of limiting the temperature based on Materials (ASME Code) ?

Thanks in advance

kind Regards,
R.Ilanseran

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Back in the early 1990s. I worked for the XYZ Organization as a temp, doing scut boiler calculations...

They didn't pay very well ...

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Its been a while, but the list of allowable ASTM materials permitted to be used in ASME sect I , their allowable stresses, and permitted temprature range are based on certified lab data and required lifetimes based on the tested values of yield, UTS, and creep life, without explicit consideration of oxidation, corrosion, and fatigue damage. Those latter 3 damage mechanisms are imputed to be the responsiblilty of the designer and operator. The confidence of the creep life and assigned high temperature stress is related to the certified lab's test data ; one cannot allow operation at temperatures above which there is not confidence in the data or theory as for newer alloys since there is only short term test data.

Each material has a variation in properties due to practical methods of fabricating the materials and structures that use the material , including weld properties. One cannot allow operation above the critical temperatures for which metallurgical changes occur, just as post fabrication heat treatment temperatures are not allowed to exceed certain critical temperatures to avoid change the metallurgy to one that was not within the lab's test range.

While the code rules allow the allowable stress determination to be based on the calculated expected mid wall metal temperature, the heated boiler parts, during operation, are heated by the combusted fuel gases and the outer diameter temperatures are above the mid wall metal temperatures, so there needs to be a margin to account for that operating temperature difference between mid wall and OD, such that the OD material does not undergo metallurgical changes that degrade properties.

One example may be carbon steel boiler tubes within the boiler setting absorbing heat from combusted fuel gases. Graphitization is a metallurgical change that can embrittle the outside of the heated tube if that OD temperature exceed perhaps 825 F , so some grades of carbon steel tubes have a max listed mid wall temperature limit of 750 F with the implied margin between OD and mid wall of (825-750) = 75 F.

"...when logic, and proportion, have fallen, sloppy dead..." Grace Slick

Code allowable stress at temp plus experience in the materials usage in boilers are its reasons. Other materials must be selected for higher temps.

I can only answer the question about SA-106 Gr. B: SA-106 is a carbon steel material and plain carbon steel can be susceptible to graphitization after prolonged exposure to temperatures exceeding 425C.

-Christine

Ilanseran Ramadass, ASME Sec II, Part D tabulates a great variety of materials with resect to: Code use permitted, maximum temperature permitted, allowables at temperature, and much more.

Assuming XYZ Corp is working to ASME, I'd expect your data comes from that, either a past or current Edition.

EDIT: Oops kind of off topic, my apologies :)

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

SA 106 Gr B is plain Carbon steel, its upper limit is a bit too high for me.

SA 335 Gr P11 contains 1.25% Cr and 0.5% Mo - these form carbides that raise the transformation temperature upward leading to high temperature use.
These also increase the mechanical strength, both yield and ultimate.

SA 335 Gr P22 contains 2.25% Cr and 1 Mo - apart from above, Mo contributes some secondary hardness, hence even higher temperature usage.

DHURJATI SEN
Kolkata, India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back