Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Temperature Limitation to Liquid and Gas piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

John7474

Petroleum
Jan 10, 2012
US
I would like to apologise before I start my question again. I had asked this question in my other post in a different section. Please pardon me if this is a violation.

The temperature derating factor provided for ASME B31.8 stops at 450'F.

Does this mean that gas piping ( B31.8)can be designed only upto 450'F ?

Is there is temperature limitation to liquid and gas piping design ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Duwe6,
Misquoting was not my intention. I was just trying to cheat. I am from the manufacturing world. We have set out own boundaries where B31.4 and B31.8 have common guidelines. YOur statement has provided answer to the part that I was trying to cheat. Thank you.

But, my primary question remains unanswered.

The temperature derating factor provided for ASME B31.8 stops at 450'F.

Does this mean that gas piping ( B31.8)can be designed only upto 450'F ?

That seems to be a reasonable presumption. I doubt if the writers of B31.8 envisioned that anyone would want to send anything that hot off-site. "Transmission" means shipping it beyond the limits of a facility. and usually involves 'change of custody' -- buying & selling. Why not switch to B31.3 [or 31.1] when your design temp goes above 450°F?

Section 802 of B31.8 covers scope and intent

Section 802.1 (b) This Code does not apply to

(1)

(2) piping with metal temperatures above 450F or below -20F.

Thanks Guys. I am aware of ASME B31.3 Table A-1 , ASME II - D, ASME B31.8 Scope ..802..., ASME B31.4 ..400.1.2..(c) 2..I wanted to see if I missed anything. But again, now that I have more confidence due to your opinion, thank you again.

I am trying to understand the scope for some piping components (adapters and housings for hot tapping). I do not design pipe lines. But, I have to assume that if a code allows something, there could be someone out there who may want to do it. However, I have to let my customers know of the specified limitations, when I deny manufacturing, when I feel the need and provide them the proper reference of my standing ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back