Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

temperature measurement on medium voltage level

Status
Not open for further replies.

roemsen

Electrical
Apr 14, 2003
CH
I would like to detect an over temperature on metallic parts on medium voltage level (around 20 kV AC). In case of over temperature (>100 degrees Celsius), I would like to get a signal that can be used as input for a control system.
I found some solutions with infrared measurement technology, but since I have to detect over temperature on around 12 different spots and I would like to implement this over temperature detection system as standard monitoring solution in a product, I am searching for a cheaper solution.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would be possible to measure the temperature with a contact thermocouples or PT100-elements, but how can I transform the output signal to the low voltage level side to be able to connect it to a control cubicle? Imagine, I would have to connect the contact thermocouples with the metallic part which is on a voltage level of 20 kV AC.

I would install IR siteglasses on the equipment so you can easily and safely take IR snapshots. ALL of the switchgear OEM's have info on these siteglasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back