Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temperature measurement with DMM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davee3

Mechanical
May 9, 2005
CA
Looking to inexpensively monitor temperature variations without much concern for actual temperature. Ranges around 150C. Would a Thermopile with 500mA output connect directly to a DMM ? Or is there another way. Cold junction would be possible --Ice water or? As you can see Electrical not my fortee

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How inexpensively, how accurately?

If you have power available (2 or 3 volts), use a silicon temp. sensor chip (LM34, see National Semiconductor site, Accuracy can get as good as +/-.5 deg. F.

Cheaper, but less accurate are thermistors - read them directly with an ohm meter; these are good to +/- 1 or 2 deg. C when calibrated, or used as differential sensors.

Cheapest: you can read a thermocouple directly in mV with a DMM, effectively measuring the temp. difference from the meter to the probe end.

There are some real cheapo DMMs fom south-east that can indicate temperature. Sometimes a thermocouple is included in the bargain.

Fluke, of course, have temperature probes that can be connected to any DMM. Not only theirs. They also have a non-contact surface temperature transducer.

Google +DMM +temperature for a long list.

If you want to experiment, you can always use a thermistor and a couple of resistors to have a limited linear range. shows a few examples.

Gunnar Englund

Hi Davee3,

All the above suggestions are fine.. They just require a heck of a lot of mucking around and table look ups, with the exception of the National part. Which all increase the chance of a screw up. I have used all the above methods with various success.

Lay hands on a non-contact temperature measurer. One of those point-the-laser-spot-read-the-temp guns.

The temp gun sees the light of warm objects, so as you use it imagine everything giving off light that signifies it's temp, and use the gun appropriately.

I use mine to check the temperature of my aquarium, the chili I was cooking yesterday, room temperature, my oven temperature. You can use them to find which cylinder is missfiring. The one with the 20F colder header pipe....

I use mine just about every day! I use it on motors, vacuum pumps, refrigerators, IC's. Just a whole lot of things. You can measure spots that any other measurement method works poorly on. Surface temperature of a motor is a good example. If you want the temp of a motor that isn't instrumented internally the temp gun is great.

Here are a bunch under a hundred bucks.

If you just want a number to match against, use a cheap meter and a silicon diode like 1N4001. Most low cost meters have a diode check position that puts enough voltage on the diode.

Anyone who wants to follow those links above:

itsmoked
When you copy someone's post from another board ( make sure you expand the links rather than copy&paste

Good Luck
johnwm

UK steam enthusiasts:

Hi johnwm; Thanks, I never even noticed..How annoying!!

Thanks for hunting up the correct ones.

That took some sluicing to hunt that back to my original post.

...not really - a Google on 'non-contact temperature measurer' from your post and it's the first result [smile]!

Good Luck
johnwm

UK steam enthusiasts:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back