Temperature/Pressure drop due to wafer check valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

engr2GW

Petroleum
Nov 7, 2010
US
Hello,
I have never used a wafer check valve before. My Operators used it for the first time on a line feeding the suction of a compressor for natural gas (not dehydrated yet).

The suction control valve is set at 50 psig (or the suction pressure is 50 psig), this keeps the suction header at 50 psig or a little less.

But the pressure upstream of the check valve is 180 psig, usually, the entire suction header is fairly consistent with the suction control pressure.

upon removing the wafer check valve, I realized that they are usually not full port, a 6" wafer check has a 4" opening, and also, the flapper does not open all the way. While I had doubts as to whether that is sufficient to cause pressure that inconsistence, I observed that it did. Almost like the small opening of (what appears to be less than) about 1.5" - 3" in the 6 inch header was acting a bit like a RO. Granted, the downstream of the check valve is kept at 50psig because of the compressor, but the upstream side(I thought) should be fairly close as long as the check is open, albeit only 1.5 - 3 inches. My question is:

1. Have anyone experienced this before, or is it possible for this to happen or could there be something else (luckily, I have a pressure gage immediately up and downstream of the check valve)?
2. Additional question is: Is there a rule of thumb to estimate temperature drop if you know P1 and P2 across a RO...especially, when, as in this case, the pressure drop is not naturally/entirely because of the RO, but the P2 is forced mechanical to be 50psig by a compressor.

Thanks for your patience and help.

As much as possible, do it right the first time...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Glad you worked it out.
Always use full swing check valves for pipelines.

A black swan to a turkey is a white swan to the butcher ... and to Boeing.

@1503-44, Yes sir, it was one of those MOCs that was not MOC'ed. installed without consent, lesson learned.

and about my last post, I meant to say "...50psig can now be seen upstream of both the new and existing problematic check valve"

As much as possible, do it right the first time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back