Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Temporary Fencing Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambemily

Structural
Jul 2, 2018
US
Does anyone know of any specifications or requirements for the structural design of temporary fencing? I'm working on the review of a temporary fence that fell over and my client is asking if it was properly installed. I understand from my research that no permit is required, but are there requirements for the design of the fence so that it doesn't fall over? Codes or links would be very helpful. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What sort of temporary fence is this?
Temporary fencing falling over happens all the time here, contractors are pretty lazy with it / we get some howling winds

I assume the underlying situation is that the fence fell over and damaged something?
If so, I think the proof of the pudding is that it fell over and damaged something - doesn't really matter if you did it "per code" if it smashed someone's property

Also - would help if you said what jurisdiction you're in as this will vary massively around the world.

You might reference ASCE 37 or the chain link fence manufacturer's institute wind load guide for applicable loading. AASHTO has provisions for concrete sound walls, but your fence sounds less substantial.

We have a project with templates fence. It’s designed for wind per ASCE 7-22. It’s in an area no accessible to the public. Depending on your situation, you could try a load case with an eccentric 250 pound load to simulate a person climbing on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back