Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Temporary or Permanet Fittings Categorisation by Codes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John7474

Petroleum
Jan 10, 2012
US
Is there a formal temporary or permanent categorisation of fittings by ASME or DOT ?

Temporary fittings being the adapters or valves that would be attached to the pipelines for operations like hot tapping. They would be bolted for the operation and taken off once the operation is complete.

Is there a formal categorisation ? If there is, are the temporary fittings exempt from affiliation to the ASME codes.

Please answer with proper referenece only. I do not want opinions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You posted a ridiculous hypothetical situation and then placed an even more ridiculous limit on the answer.

"Please answer with proper reference only. I do not want opinions."

There is no "proper reference" because one does not exist.

So you will get my opinion!
If you go into a "Pipe, Fitting, Flanges & Valve" supply house you will not find two versions of items. You will find Pipe, Fittings, Flanges and Valves all made to the same ASME Codes and Standards for their intended purpose. These items will differ only in the type of material, wall thickness, flange rating and valve types.
You will NOT find two 90 degree Elbows, one for temporary installation and one for permanent installation. That would be far too costly and would potentially create a real safety hazard.

Where in the world did you get this crazy idea?

Penpiper,
Elbows are not the only fittings in a pipe line. There are different fittings which are made to connect a machiery to a pipeline like adaptors, housings, valves etc. All these can also be placed in the category of fittings. If I am wrong please let me know.

John,
Pennpiper answered your question - there is no such thing as temporary fittings.
There are temporary attachments that are fabrication "aids" but fittings cannot be classified in the same way.
Sorry, that was my opinion,
Regards,
Kiwi

John7474,
I assumed that you were smart enough to recognize the use of the Elbows was for example purposes only, thus I did not feel that it was necessary to list every type of pipe, fitting, flange, valve etc.
Maybe I was wrong?
Sorry!

Pennpiper,
I also assumed that you would at google the word temporary fittings before showing off your expertise. That is why I mentioned no opinions in my initial statement.

This thread seems to be degenerating rather fast. Is that necessary on either side?

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

John7474

Attached is a link to the US Code of Federal Regulations. You can search it to find any Department of Transportation regulations regarding temporary fittings. I do not know of any off the top of my head, but it is not my area of expertise. While I have access to the ASME Codes, I have neither time nor inclination to do searches for you.

Facts only.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

john, don't shake off good advice/info. All the respondents are correct. There is no such thing as certified "temporary fittings". If the fitting meets Code minimums, it is qualified for continuous use.

If a fitting fails to meet Code minimums, it cannot be used in a Code system. Period.

It is so simple it is sort of hard.

Pennpiper,
I apologise for my outburst. You were there to help me. I had a specific reason to state that I did not want opinions.I think this triggered my impression of being rude.But, my outburst did prove it...My apology to you and the community.Please accept my apology.

Guys,
I am not for or against the fittings ( or fittings that make up a temporary attachment) categorisation. I just want to settle down an issue.

I am under the same impression of the suggestions you have provided me. But the European categorisation and suggestions from my frieds with 25+ yrs of experience have made me think otherwise.

The hot tapping fittings that make up the temporary attachment are only ASNI rated and no ASME or API.

"The hot tapping fittings that make up the temporary attachment are only ASNI rated and no ASME or API"

Sorry, but no. A hot tap typically starts with an SA-105 O'let and an SA-105 weldneck flange. Then a fullbore gate or ball valve; SA-105 forged, or SA-216 cast; is bolted to the flange. Then the Hot-Tap machine is bolted to the valve flange and the boring is accomplished, the bit of the machine retracted, and the valve closed. Other than the welding and hole-cutting being accomplished 'Hot', it is identical to, and is indistinguishable from any other branch connection using an O'let.

These are all ASME specifications, and are accepted by the API. ANSI developed these spec's a long, long time ago; but about 40 years ago ASME ratified them, 'tightened' them up slightly, and incorporated them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back