Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temporary shoring - 30' diameter, 36' deep shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairman

Civil/Environmental
May 25, 2003
GB
I need to design temporary shoring for a 30' diameter, 36' deep circular shaft. I'm thinking of using rolled steel beams with wood lagging. Any comments or other ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sheet piling, I think with the circular beams it would be expensive, plus I would still want to see some cross members, prolly have them with sheet piling too

Steel beams and wood lagging seem to be appropriate. I suppose driven steel sheet piling might be an alternative but I don't think they would have adequate strength for that height without some kind of tieback.

BA

How is it going to be excavated? Does the shoring go in as the shaft goes down? Sheet piling may be the best approach and add walers & tie-backs as needed as the excavation proceeds.

Consider the activities inside. Will you be able to brace the inside? Sheet piling would likely be a better option, though you might have to go deep with the piling; however, you'll need to go deep with the WF sections to make them stable as well.

Sheet piling is easy to install and extract.

Why not cast concrete ring beams within the ring of sheetpiles. If the soil conditions are equal all around the exterior of the shaft, the ring beams will be in compression and act as an arch.
Ring beams are cast as required during excavation. The spacing between rings will depend on soil conditions and pile section modulus. Rings are connected to the sheets to prevent them dropping down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back