temporary stop APDL flow 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKJoe

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2005
SK
Hi,

i would like to perform a parametric study with four parameters. In my case it means 7*4*3*2=168 runs. I presume that all of this will take some days. But still i need to use my PC for another work. Is there any way to temporary stop APDL analysis for day time and launch it for night time ?

PS: sorry for my english

Regards,
lubo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

the only command I know, is /wait,seconds but this only works for a maximum of 59 seconds.

If you are using APDL then you could create an input file for each day an start it each time you don't need your computer. For example the first variable needs 7 values. Just create seven files with one value of the first variable for each file.

Regards,
Alex

Hi,

my code for entire model looks like this :

*do,i,1,7
*do,j,1,4
fini
/prep7
...create finite model
*do,k,1,3
*do,l,1,2
fini
/sol
fini
/post26
*enddo
*enddo
fini
/prep7
edele, all
ndele, all
*enddo
*enddo

"Just create seven files with one value"...it means that 168/7=24. i would need to create 24 files - not a problem. The problem is that results are being written to
5D-arrays. They are neither visible nor writable via *mwrite...i would like to have all in one array - if i wanted to plot results relative to this first parameter it would not be possible because they would be written in 24 separate files..
Ok, i was just curious whether there is some way or not. If there is not any i will perform the analysis in one piece. Another work will must wait...

Anyway, thank you for your quick reply Alex. I appreciate that.

Regards,
lubo

Hi,
prior to launching that huge work, you could ensure that the processor occupancy won't saturate your machine.
Here, I assume that you have at least a Pentium4, if not a Core2Duo or equivalent ones from AMD.
These processors are multi-core, that means that if you want ANSYS to use full-100% of your processor whenever it can (some parts of Ansys are NOT multi-processor / multi-core ready), you must set the NPROC key to the number of CORES you have (the procedure is a bit different in v.11 wrt previous releases). On the opposite, if you force ANSYS to use only 1 "processor" (in these cases, virtual-processors), then the proc. occupancy will be at most 50% for a single-processor machine, 25% for a dual-processor, and so on. This will allow you to continue your work without heavy slowdown (Office work usually uses less than a very few percent of processor time). When you set ANSYS to use as much processor as possible, instead, the slowdown can be VERY noticeable!

Hope this can help in some way...

Regards

Hi, cbrn,

i have core2duo. i know that. I was just wondered if there is some command or some way. Yes, this is only the way. i wanted to draw something in autocad meanwhile...i will see if it is possible - whether the slowdown is noticeable or not.
Thank you.

Regards,
lubo

@ SKjoe

Why 24 Files? What I meant is

First file:

i=1
*do,j,1,4
...create finite model
*do,k,1,3
*do,l,1,2
*enddo
*enddo
*enddo

Second file:

i=2
*do,j,1,4
...create finite model
*do,k,1,3
*do,l,1,2
*enddo
*enddo
*enddo

Seventh file:

i=7
*do,j,1,4
...create finite model
*do,k,1,3
*do,l,1,2
*enddo
*enddo
*enddo

You don't need more the 7 files.

Regarding to "i would like to have all in one array": you can have it, by saving the parameters by

parsav,all,filename,parm

and the resume

/clear
parres,new,filename,parm

Hope it helps!

Hi Alex !

Yes, i made a mistake - only 7 files. I think that this parsav/parres commands will fully solve my problem !
Thank you !

Regards,
lubo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back