Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Temporary structure tiedown system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

focuseng

Structural
Aug 3, 2010
US
I am looking into some kind of system which will anchor a semi-permanent structure to a parking lot surface (assume asphalt). No real foundation here. Cable and ropes like a tent are not acceptable not that I would know where to find allowable pullout of a tent stake anyway. Is there some sort of manufactured systems out there (with code approval or allowable loading) or is this just a free for all to design up with whatever I can scrape together?

A typical anchor bolt into the asphalt just doesn't seem like it will work for a number of reasons.

Any tips, pointers, or links appreciated.

MAP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Institution of Structural Engineers have published a guide on temporary demountable structures which givesa few options for foundations. These include counterweights, soil anchors, short bored piers. It really depends on the the base loads and ground conditions. Bored piers may be difficult if there's limited working height.

Thanks fancypants. It looks like what I am looking for is some type of anchor called an "auger anchor" or "screw anchor". These are typically used in manufactured trailer housing and can easily be sourced. I have looked at some sources and it looks like the right kind of thing. However, It looks like they are not real heavy on the engineering allowable load information -providing mostly prescriptive info. Then I need to attach to the structure. Anybody have experience with these and care to relate any pitfalls or advice?

MAP

Look up helical anchors and helical piles. They make some heavy duty stuff also.

I personally have never used them and someone here can most likely be more beneficial to you in the application area.

I like earth anchors - as mentioned. But you will "mess up" the parking lot.

Something we have used successfully are K-rails, ecology blocks, highway barriers - whatever they are called in your part of the country. Typically big concrete blocks weighing 2,000 - 6,000 lbs depending on size. Most have re-bar "hooks" embedded in them. We lay them out as required and tie to them

Seems to work well. Cheap, a little hard to move - but work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back