Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temporary support of a load bearing column

Status
Not open for further replies.

72mattski

Industrial
Jun 7, 2013
US
Good morning fellow engineers, technicians, and jacks of the trade. This is not my typical forum but I need some advice. I have to move a steel round column supporting a load bearing I-Beam. I have already had the structural design evaluated and got the design engineers go ahead to move this column as long as I provide temporary support while doing so. Now I have to figure out how to do so. It will only be displaced long enough to move it three feet and is bolted in place. The I-beam is in close proximity to the building ceiling (6 " below) but does not support any building load and is about 18 ft. from the floor. During the move there will be minimal load on the I-beam (<2000 lbs. static). It looks like a simple job, but few things in the engineering fields are as simple as they seem. So what equipment would you recommend? Hit me with any questions. I apologize up front if I have failed to mention anything specific, but you guys know how it is to ask for help outside your area of expertise.

Matt Merrick
Chief Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A sketch would help. I'm going at this blindly on your situation. Before removing the existing column, you need to provide temporary shoring to relieve the load. You could try installing adjustable tubular columns to relieve the load, but I've never seen any tubes that were longer than 12'. You could use a temporary column with a jack at the top; 2k sn't much of a load for a screw jack.

Not sure what size column you have, but if it is simply moving a column, it may be easiest just to buy a new one, install it, then remove the existing. Generally speaking, steel is relatively cheap, and labor is relatively expensive.

A sketch or photo would help.

Bridgebuster,

Thanks. I had thought of the idea of using a shorter column with a jack, I had hoped there was a way to get around buying the steel column, but I think you are right on.

Thanks again.

Matt Merrick
Chief Engineer

I second bridgebuster. We use system scaffold for shoring jobs. Screw jack on the bottom of tubular columns. You can essentially make this as tall as you want, provide it is braced properly.

AnthonyDeramo,

Thanks. Great idea. I can ge the scaffolding rep to put together a package that should do the job. Also keeps me from having to purchase the steel.

Thanks for the ideas. Hats off to you guys!!

Matt Merrick
Chief Engineer

I would have thought that OHIOMatt's suggestion of replacing the column with a new one, then removing the existing, would be the most economical and safest option. That way, you avoid any instability issues during the jacking and removal process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back