Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temprature Loads for steel buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfd23

Structural
Nov 9, 2007
CA
Hi,

I am working on a 350ftx185ft building - 175ft to 150 ft high. . Temprature difference (winter and summer months) is 80F. Building is heated but not air condioned. I have following issues to discuss

1- No expansion joint - should we design for temprature load. if yes - loads are so high it appears unreasonable.

2- if we provide expansion joint only at roof purlins (slotted holes) about at 125 ft length should we still need to design for temprature load for both sides of the building.

3- Do we need to provide expansion joint throught out the height of building for every beam attaching to this bay (125 ft location). and do not consider any temprature load.

4. for expansion joint we can not provide double cols. we left out with slotted holes option. any thought.

I need your help and advice in this matter.

I appreciate all feed backs. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What type building? Is this just a big void or are there floors? What is the useage? What type cladding?

For 350', I'd likely put one at 175'... just to square the building up a bit. If there are significant temperature differentials between summer and winter, 350' is a tad too long.

Dik

Thanks for your feed back. Building has many floors at various heights. it has vertical bracing system over the plan in various bays. My concern is if I provide expansion joint at purlins, did i still need to design my building for temprature loads or ignore them.

If there is no uniform temperature control, I would put a joint in the middle and make sure all finishes, including exterior, honour the joint. You may consider a double column detail at the joint. If the building was designed to keep a uniform interior temperature, then the length is marginal for a joint.

Dik

I agree with dik that the building should have a movement joint, and slotted holes won't work for the floor beams...maybe marginally satisfactory for the roof. This has been discussed here previously. Double columns are the way to go, and you will need bracing on both sides of the joint. Treat it as two separate buildings.

Thanks both of you.
what kind of movement joint should be provided. we can not provide double cols at this stage.

You likely should be looking at a seated connection with slotted holes at the bearing. You might consider elastomeric pad or teflon type bearings. Check with Watson Bowman Acme... don't know if they are still around... used to use their GNN bearings for nearly everything <G>.

Dik

BTW... you still need to treat the structure as two individual buildings...

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back